First mount

Territory Hunting

Tf223

Having never shot a buck worthy of mounting before, I took the chance to pursue this come last November.

Immediately I must be honest, the thought of boiling and sorting a head done nothing for me. As such I pursued the lazy mans option... I know this doesn’t produce the whitest of skulls but it seems to have worked well enough to me.

A) head buried for almost 4 months
B) dug up and washed off hair
C) boiled the clean skull for 30 mins
D) bleached
E) cut as a European mount
G) epoxy’d a wood block in the brain cavity and fitted to oak shield with a couple of screws

28203B9E-686C-4DC3-9FA5-23036C9B7649.jpeg

Sadly Mrs TF223 who has never been one for a dead anything couldn’t tolerate the look of a skull in the house. A modesty cover safety pinned at rear and some novelty eyes for the kids attention and hey presto... it’s just about acceptable to her!!! To me it’s better like that than tucked in the loft.

17813DA5-E32E-4DE9-8D40-E47728B188A4.jpeg

Last edited:

Tf223

If you boiled it any way you could of saved yourself the 4 month wait!
Yeah probably. I only boiled to soften for the bleaching - don’t know whether that made a difference or not.

But like guiness ‘all good things’ and all that 😁

muddy42

Well done. I’m not that into trophies and mounting. That said I like practical stuff and so do 2/3 a year. Good practise maybe for the day i take a guest out.

boiling really is the way to go. Not too rank if you do it fresh and it produces a cleaner and whiter skull.

Jax

If you know of anyone with a high pressure steam cleaner, give that a go.

After I had finished skinning and fleshing out a roe head, the keeper fired up his karcher pressure steam cleaner and handed it to me saying “give that a go”. I looked at him a bit odd saying I’ll boil it first. He repeated what he said!

I went from shot beast to perfectly clean skull in 2hr 15mins! That’s with the recovery and gralloching etc. The steam cleaner took everything off without boiling or any scraping, literally perfect. Didn’t damage the skull either.

willie_gunn

Having never shot a buck worthy of mounting before, I took the chance to pursue this come last November.

Immediately I must be honest, the thought of boiling and sorting a head done nothing for me. As such I pursued the lazy mans option... I know this doesn’t produce the whitest of skulls but it seems to have worked well enough to me.

A) head buried for almost 4 months
B) dug up and washed off hair
C) boiled the clean skull for 30 mins
D) bleached
E) cut as a European mount
G) epoxy’d a wood block in the brain cavity and fitted to oak shield with a couple of screws

View attachment 195132

Sadly Mrs TF223 who has never been one for a dead anything couldn’t tolerate the look of a skull in the house. A modesty cover safety pinned at rear and some novelty eyes for the kids attention and hey presto... it’s just about acceptable to her!!! To me it’s better like that than tucked in the loft.

View attachment 195133

The surprised look in that deer's eyes begs the question - was it a Texas heart shot?? ;)

Joking aside, I think you've done a very neat job indeed with that. I am sure it makes for quite a conversation point!

UK Outfitters