Gin traps

Hmm just thinking you could bring some bits back to sell to get more funds to help fight the fellers, So its sort of them paying for there own capture :D

Last edited:
Hmm just thinking you could bring bits some back to sell to get more funds to help fight the fellers, So its sort of them paying for there own capture :D
Good idea , I certainly would buy one to help out :tiphat:

Last edited:
Carl im not condoning his actions, and dont think gin traps are humane but my pointis the system that makes him have to do it to survive, like the ivory poachers paid a few dollars to kill an elephant so a chinese or veitnamise man can make millions, good luck with the fight
Shakey

Hi Carl.
That is most kind and I will try to remember your offer in march. Also I will obviously pay postage or courier and put a few quid into a charity. I admire the work that you do but will never have the funds to experience Africa.

Kindest regards Bryan.

Bryan,

Read 'Horn of the hunter' by Robert Ruark. It's almost as good as being there in person!

Speak in the spring.

Kind regards,

Carl

Good idea , I certainly would buy one to help out :tiphat:

Thanks guys. Will look at this. My main concern is that they are an illegal item in Mozambique so the customs guys might have a problem with me filling a shipping container with them! They don't mind me sticking one or two in my gear on the way to the UK as souvenirs for friends or collectors like Bryan but anything more will have their eyes shining with financial opportunity...

We also confiscate a lot of home-made muzzle-loaders. We have quite a collection in the lodge but our clients are always to nervous to try taking one back to the USA, etc.

Anyway, will look into it asap. Thank you for the creative idea.

Kind regards,

Carl

Very intresting thread, cheers carl.

Good luck with the poaching problem, i think u'll need it.

Is it even legal to own these traps in the UK?? I'm sur ei have been told that old fashioned gin and pole traps have to be 'decommisioned' welded open or shut to be legal in UK, not 100% sure so i'd double check in case u get bother at UK customs

Very intresting thread, cheers carl.

Good luck with the poaching problem, i think u'll need it.

Is it even legal to own these traps in the UK?? I'm sur ei have been told that old fashioned gin and pole traps have to be 'decommisioned' welded open or shut to be legal in UK, not 100% sure so i'd double check in case u get bother at UK customs

Hi Countryboy. Thank you. I think it is still legal to own them as curios; you just aren't allowed to use them. However, based on your post, I will double-check, not least because I was showing a load of them to my FEO on his last visit...oops!

Kindest regards,

Carl

It may well be a 'rural myth' and may well have been exagerated but a keeper was meant to be done for possesing 1.
Think it was meant to be welded shut or open so can't be used (think it was a pole trap so dunno if there diferent to old gin traps legally??)

I'd imagine ur taps wouldn't really be much good in the uk for catching elephants anyway, not heard of many feral escapee's ;)

Probably 1 of those strange old laws that most folk don't know never mind prosecute u for

Hi Carl.
That is most kind and I will try to remember your offer in march. Also I will obviously pay postage or courier and put a few quid into a charity. I admire the work that you do but will never have the funds to experience Africa.

Kindest regards Bryan.

Well it's now the month of march.
So a PM is on it's way to Carl.

Regards Bryan.

Hi Frank,

We are near Macossa in Manica province. I am glad you enjoyed Niassa: there is very good hunting up there, eh!

If only we can nail the poaching problem, Mozambique has the potential to act as a real reservoir for African wildlife. We lost a scout to elephant poachers in February: shot through the stomach with an AK by ivory poachers. This is a war and hunters are on the front line. I don't get many vegetarians offering to come out and contribute!

Best,

Carl

I have also hunted Niassa with Frank Not come across any gins either but the lion I shot on one of the trips had wire tangled round one of its back toes which had deformed. Sadly since the first trip about 6 years ago the elephant have been absolutely decimated - its a real struggle to find dung to burn and keep the tsetse away from the truck

S

I know I harp on about Turkey at times ,in a small town I go to I needed a dog collar for a dog I looked after and in this small shop hanging on the wall all sorts of traps what the guy makes and sells not expensive couple of quid each mainly for wild boar ,made from substantial metal and chain,I pulled my hands up my sleeves when he set one to show how it worked on his shop floor.I want to be able to pick up a pint not suck it through a straw.

What's happened with the traps, if there any I also want to take one

Hi Karakolev,

Mozambique customs are now being difficult about them. One of the SD members almost got put in chokey last week when he came to visit me and took one in his suitcase.

Kind regards,

Carl

Back