Gold Medal Roe Buck.

Donnylad

Last week saw me up in Aberdeenshire after a medal class roe buck with Trev Limb from Total Fieldsports. This was my third visit there, I went last July about the same time and late May this year. A year ago we came across this buck but he wouldn't play ball during the rut. In May he was a no show. However on my first evening stalk last week we found him chasing does in exactly the same spot as last July. At around 800 yards we closed the gap to 300 and a call on the Cherrywood roe call had him racing towards us at full pelt. To cut quite a long story short I eventually had a neck shot on him at 80 Yards in a barley field off the sticks. He dropped on the spot so was well chuffed. On inspection he has definitely lost mass this year and lacks the pearling he had last year. We have some video footage from last year so can tell. His antlers are both around 29cms long and at the moment after five days drying his skull weight is 604grams. He had a huge body on him with a larder weight of 48Lbs, big for Northern Scotland.
A fantastic old buck past his best and going back. We estimate his age at 7 to 8 years. The dream of taking a medal class Scottish buck achieved at last. I will post up the score sheet when we get him scored after the 30 day drying period. My guess would be high 130 points. Any one else fancy a guess?

Attachments

• thumbnail_fe1add74-.jpg
    thumbnail_fe1add74-.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 299
  • thumbnail_IMG_0584.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0584.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 296
  • thumbnail_IMG_0587.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0587.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 300
  • thumbnail_03d8035e-.jpg
    thumbnail_03d8035e-.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 301
  • thumbnail_b0b0d696-.jpg
    thumbnail_b0b0d696-.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 304

Woodsmoke

Holy crap! That's a beast and a half, for sure. My biggest so far was just hovering around the 23kg mark, but had nowhere near the length or reach. After five days it weighed around 535 grams and I'm pretty sure it'll make silver. Congratulations on a cracking head, regardless of what it scores.

Donnylad

Holy crap! That's a beast and a half, for sure. My biggest so far was just hovering around the 23kg mark, but had nowhere near the length or reach. After five days it weighed around 535 grams and I'm pretty sure it'll make silver. Congratulations on a cracking head, regardless of what it scores.
Cheers Woodsmoke. When I saw it on the deck I said high silver to the stalker, but it will all come down to the volume, we will have to wait and see. He was definitely a big gold last year. He was going back a good one to take this year.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
It will all be down to the weight and volume at days end. Certainly length will make up points, colour and pearling not so so much in my opinion. Photos are always deceiving, but if it retains the weight it will be a gold.
Still a very nice buck, long head, congratulations.

Donnylad

It will all be down to the weight and volume at days end. Certainly length will make up points, colour and pearling not so so much in my opinion. Photos are always deceiving, but if it retains the weight it will be a gold.
Still a very nice buck, long head, congratulations.
Cheers Malc, hope you are keeping well.
Steve.