Home made Case lube

geoffrey

I expect a lot of you know about this already but for those who don't please read on.

A while ago a friend gave me some once fired ppu brass in .243 so last week i decided to full length size the cases to use in my own rifle.
I put the die in the press as per instructions and gave the cases a good spray of lymans quick spray lube, after about the forth go the case jammed in the die so i had to take it to the workshop to remove it, i started again and the case got stuck again, so i took the die and some cases to a friend who used rcbs number 2 lube on a pad. We re sized the cases without further problems, I looked on line for case lube and found a youtube clip of a chap making his own, he was using one part of liquid lanoline to twelve parts isopropanol, i went on ebay and ordered some, mixed it up and put it in a small hand spray placing a stainless nut inside so you can shake it up before use, i sprayed some cases and left them for a few minutes to let the isopropanol evaporate, then went on to resize the cases with no further problems, it works a treat,

cheers Geoff

Great stuff! Do you know if it has any effect on the propellant? Can you use the case right away or would you need to make certain you clean them before charging?

i see no reason why you could not use the case right away as the isopropanol evaporates and leaves the case lubed, i would just clean off the lube with a piece of kitchen role, i have not noticed any change in accuracy using this lube so i would say no it has no effect on the propellant,

Last edited:
Even better. Only reason I asked was I've seen lubes that make a big deal out of not affecting the powder & just wondered :thumb:

I have used STP oil treatment in the past as a lube,works fine looks and smells the same as RBS lube can get it in Halford and most motor stores.

surely you clean the cases afterwards anyway? No?

lube in the inside neck is going to compromise neck tension and at best create inconsistency

I use the DIY lube made with lanolin, I just tumble the cases for an hour after resizing to remove the lube - they were cleaned before resizing

I got some cases stuck when sizing 7.62 to 243 and ended up using castor oil. No more problems. Easy to get and never jams. If you have constipation a table spoon will loosen you up a treat.

77315_00905_9__17200.1405371566.1280.1280.jpg

£2.99

Five years on and less than half empty.

K

Decided to make some home made case lube. Very easy to do and goes a long way

Bought some lanolin paste from Pukka Bundhooks :: - £9.50 incl p&p
Bought some SHL Brand isonpropanol SHL BRAND ISOPROPANOL IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Pure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics -£8.99 incl p&p
Bought some 100ml plastic travel spray bottles from Boots - 3 for 2 £3.

Took about a teaspoon of the lanolin and smeared it on the bottom of a small microwave suitable tuppaware box with lid..
Poured in circa 100ml of the isonpropanol and warmed it in bursts of 10 seconds in the microwave. Mixed really nicely after about 3-4 bursts of 10 secs.

Have already done a 100 cases with approx 10ml of the mix, so this lot of supplies will do several thousand cases

20150823_120136_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Pure lanolin, also know as 'wool fat' (as that is what it is) is a good lubricant as it does not compress. I used it for lubricant mixed rougly 50/50 with castor oil as a release agent when I used to commercially manufacture swaged lead Webley .455 bullets.

Some USA Forums say that a particular type of men's hair gel is also a good case lubricant...and a fraction of the price of the self same thing but marketed as Redding Imperial Sizing Wax.

(Q BW500)
+1
with you on that one or just place them in boiling water and leave to dry on peg board.

Used for industrial process's happen to have quite a stock. Use it to make the Ely bullet lube as well.
Here the VO5 hair wax is the kiddie. Use whatever rocks your boat.

Decided to make some home made case lube. Very easy to do and goes a long way

Bought some lanolin paste from Pukka Bundhooks :: - £9.50 incl p&p
Bought some SHL Brand isonpropanol SHL BRAND ISOPROPANOL IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Pure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics -£8.99 incl p&p
Bought some 100ml plastic travel spray bottles from Boots - 3 for 2 £3.

Took about a teaspoon of the lanolin and smeared it on the bottom of a small microwave suitable tuppaware box with lid..
Poured in circa 100ml of the isonpropanol and warmed it in bursts of 10 seconds in the microwave. Mixed really nicely after about 3-4 bursts of 10 secs.

Have already done a 100 cases with approx 10ml of the mix, so this lot of supplies will do several thousand cases

View attachment 60454

Those quantities at those prices makes me wonder if you are supplying Anne Summers with lubricant. :rofl:

Back