Infrared sensors avoid deer roadkill

R8 Ultimate Carbon - Discover Now! >>>

Bigboar

Hello all,

We have an expérimentation in France / Isère for avoiding collision between cars and deers/wildboars on road.

See the 2 links (In French) :

A traduction of one of the 2 links is :
The device is simple. These cameras are equipped with infrared sensors placed at the top of several posts installed on the roadside. They mark an area where the passage of animals is frequent. When an animal approaches the detectors, it is betrayed by its heat. "The information is immediately relayed upstream with a light panel that indicates the danger to motorists by asking them to reduce their speed",

6398274_1-0-848823310_1000x625.jpg

I have seen that you have problems in UK with roadkill : Winnie the Pooh forest is the 'top deer roadkill spot in the UK' - Kent Live

In UK or other countries, which kind of system do you have for avoiding roadkill and preserving wildlife ?

Bigboar

d0nni

Don't hit them lol. Road signs for common areas basically all there is. Tunnels under some new roads to allow another method of travel for smaller animals etc. Nothing ground breaking.

Cottis

I did see a video recently for a pilot scheme of some sort of Ultrasonic thing or maybe a flashing IR light that was being put in place on a high risk road. I think it was in the UK but my memory is hazy. I will try and find it.

ashray

we can not have any high tec signs etc on road sides as the pickies would only steal them for an illeagal use

nun_hunter

People ignore the interactive signs on motorways that say which lane to get out of due to accidents ahead or the variable speed limits to reduce congestion as nearly all drivers think they know best. No reason why they'd suddenly take notice of deer signs.

Hornet 6

I don't see the point of road signs warning of animal collisions, seems to me nobody takes any notice of road signs these days (animals can't read), I mean how many drivers slow or give-away when approaching a mini roundabout, or know that the dashed line across the road means give way ?
Also where does it all stop, we are not supposed to break (hard) or swerve for animals in the road according to the highway code.

Neil.

Bigboar

This system has good results. The articles indicates that :
  • "Thanks to this system, we have identified an average of 3,700 alerts per year"
  • "Roadkill have been significantly reduced since the installation of wildlife detectors from thirty to less than five"
  • "The system will be deployed on other dangerous road"

Bigboar,

ndjfb00

We live on the edge of mention forest and yes Im not surprised by the article. As already said nobody takes notice of the signs unless you live here or worst case have struck a deer. We are been overtaken twice recently ( for driving slightly less than the speed limit)and witnessed the very same cars having hit deer just a few miles down the road.

I think the early warning camera idea is great but it'll need paying for and there lies the issue, there is also the matter of it theses devices have a value the night time elves will soon remove them. As I say nice idea but not fit for our society...... Yet

R8 Ultimate Carbon - Discover Now! >>>