Inside of a Drilling and how the mechanism works

Heym SR20

Just for @Pine Marten and all others who are fascinated by fancy lockwork. Trigger plate actions were a Germanic design, and if I remember correctly one of the Edinburgh gunsmiths had German ancestry, hence the trigger plate actions used in Dickson round action etc.

Edit - my initial thought was nearly right - it was Jame MacNaughton who developed the Scottish Trigger plate action - he was good friends with a German gunsmith Julius Coster. More details here About Us - James MacNaughton

Last edited:

Pine Marten

Just for @Pine Marten and all others who are fascinated by fancy lockwork. Trigger plate actions were a Germanic design, and if I remember correctly one of the Edinburgh gunsmiths had German ancestry, hence the trigger plate actions used in Dickson round action etc.

Edit - my initial thought was nearly right - it was Jame MacNaughton who developed the Scottish Trigger plate action - he was good friends with a German gunsmith Julius Coster. More details here About Us - James MacNaughton

Thanks, I'll watch that this evening! Now, why are you posting videos at 3am?

Woodsmoke

Another really interesting video! This guy really knows his stuff, that's for sure. That trigger guard is bloody hideous though :eek::lol:

Heym SR20

Thanks, I'll watch that this evening! Now, why are you posting videos at 3am?
One of the joys of Long Covid is an inability to sleep. I have been good for a few weeks but its flared up agiain so watching YouTube is better than just lying there aching all over and feverish.

Heym SR20

Ditto. And thanks for the video link. :tiphat:
Thanks for your thoughts. I am kind of resigned and taking the long view. I am beginning to be able to do a lot more, but I felt really fit and strong end of last week so went for a bit of a run. Slightly too much and everything kicked off again. Still its been 4 weeks since the last bout. Keep safe out the COVID-19 is not much fun.

Pine Marten

I just watched that over my lunch break and it was fascinating, thank you, especially the forensic diagnostic of what was wrong with the wood.