Is Rifle Shooter UK's Best New Shooting Magazine?

mchughcb

I was out hunting pheasants yesterday and I guy gave me the Rifle Shooter. He said its the only one he reads these days. It says it is the uk's best new shooting magazine.

Does anybody agree with this statement or are they like me and haven't read a shooting magazine for years?

devon deer stalker

I did read it years ago once and while, but I can't remember the last time a bought a shooting magazine or fly fishing magazine they are all the same, too many adverts, biased product reviews and go over the same subject with slightly different slants.
Waste of money for the experienced guy, but they can on occasion assist the inexperienced.
Cheers
Richard

Hereford

Ordinarily I would agree with you - I've grown tired of the usual suspects with more advertising than content; and then the content you get is more often than not thin and benign copy. When I've bought Rifle Shooter it's been ok but still a time filler (as mentioned above) offering little more than its purchased intention.

However (and I've been meaning to post something for a while and this thread has reminded me whilst I have a minute) about six months ago I stumbled across a new hunting quarterly bookazine, whilst looking for some Scandi decorating books for the wives birthday. It's called Pursuit International - Pursuit International | Ethical Hunting | Sustainable Living

Whilst it won't be everyones cup of tea I know that there are quite a number on here of discerning readers that would appreciate it. At £12 it's not cheap but cheaper than the equivalent 12 copies of the shooting times and no adverts!! 130 pages of hunting, shooting, fishing - solid, well written articles and stories from contributors all over the world and beautiful photography. It is an 'ethical' magazine (field-to-forkish) so there isn't much camo or huge bags pictured but it does write to what a growing number of us know to be the sustainable face of shooting for the future.

I have no ties to them but really like their content - nice to have something to keep for a change rather than put out in the recycling the same day! There is also an opportunity for those who are minded to become contributors and share their stories and photography. This is the kind of stuff that would even interest those that don't shoot and certainly help to inform decision rather than 'anti-ise' them.

IMG_2959.jpg

Farmer_J

I have yet to buy one of these, though they are described more like a book than a magazine! Quite expensive but the quality of the pictures and writing inside makes what looks like a truly stunning magazine.

These can be purchased from here.

Cottis

Ordinarily I would agree with you - I've grown tired of the usual suspects with more advertising than content; and then the content you get is more often than not thin and benign copy. When I've bought Rifle Shooter it's been ok but still a time filler (as mentioned above) offering little more than its purchased intention.

However (and I've been meaning to post something for a while and this thread has reminded me whilst I have a minute) about six months ago I stumbled across a new hunting quarterly bookazine, whilst looking for some Scandi decorating books for the wives birthday. It's called Pursuit International - Pursuit International | Ethical Hunting | Sustainable Living

Whilst it won't be everyones cup of tea I know that there are quite a number on here of discerning readers that would appreciate it. At £12 it's not cheap but cheaper than the equivalent 12 copies of the shooting times and no adverts!! 130 pages of hunting, shooting, fishing - solid, well written articles and stories from contributors all over the world and beautiful photography. It is an 'ethical' magazine (field-to-forkish) so there isn't much camo or huge bags pictured but it does write to what a growing number of us know to be the sustainable face of shooting for the future.

I have no ties to them but really like their content - nice to have something to keep for a change rather than put out in the recycling the same day! There is also an opportunity for those who are minded to become contributors and share their stories and photography. This is the kind of stuff that would even interest those that don't shoot and certainly help to inform decision rather than 'anti-ise' them.

View attachment 136687
Thanks for that, I will try this. The standard commercial gumph is something I refuse to digest whether it be shooting, fishing or other hobbies. They are all the same regurgitated crud split up between many many adverts

McKenzie

I have yet to buy one of these, though they are described more like a book than a magazine! Quite expensive but the quality of the pictures and writing inside makes what looks like a truly stunning magazine.

These can be purchased from here.
I wasn't aware of these. Has anyone bought one?

arron

View attachment 136687
Looks good , I shall give that ago !!

Pine Marten

I'm at Heathrow airport again and therefore been "obliged" to buy a ten quid copy of Fieldsports magazine. The print quality is superb. Lovely adverts too...

Now can I make a controversial statement please and say that Shooting Times' editorial line under the new editor is really very good? It's all about grass roots sport, sustainability, bringing in new people, openness, essentially presenting the facets of fieldsports that will ensure they continue. Sure, that also means more articles about ferrets that I'm not very interested in, but then, neither do I shoot grouse. I'll still enjoy the glossy articles in Fieldsports though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8x57

Distinguished Member
Now can I make a controversial statement please and say that Shooting Times' editorial line under the new editor is really very good? It's all about grass roots sport, sustainability, bringing in new people, openness, essentially presenting the facets of fieldsports that will ensure they continue.
Sorry Lawrence but with sincere due respect to yourself I totally disagree with you regarding Shooting Times, or to give it it's full title "Shooting Times & Country Magazine".
While I had been a regular reader since I was 17 I really don't like the current editorial style and gave up purchasing it some time ago. In my view it's now a shooting magazine for city dwellers who know very little about the countryside and countryside sports.

As for Rifle Shooter magazine, I picked up a copy last week having not bought any shooting magazines whatsoever for a considerable length of time. At first glance there appeared to be several articles that may have been of interest to me. It wasn't long before I regretted my purchase though.
The first article I read was in response to a supposed question asked by a new shooter. The answer given was in my opinion quite poor. Then I read an article by Tim Weston, having met Tim a couple of times through the NGO deer branch and quite liking the guy I was keen to read what he had to say. It wasn't bad, in fact I quite enjoyed reading it but the article was spoiled by a caption on a photograph saying "Tim with his trusty Sako in hand waiting for an opportunity", when the rifle shown was clearly a Browning X-bolt. In fact all the equipment shown in the photograph with the possible exception of the sticks were clearly branded Browning.
The thing that really put me off the magazine though was the extremely high prices of all the Gucci kit tested or advertised. I don't think that I will be buying the magazine again any time in the future.

Pine Marten

Sorry Lawrence but with sincere due respect to yourself I totally disagree with you regarding Shooting Times, or to give it it's full title "Shooting Times & Country Magazine".
While I had been a regular reader since I was 17 I really don't like the current editorial style and gave up purchasing it some time ago. In my view it's now a shooting magazine for city dwellers who know very little about the countryside and countryside sports.
That's OK, people can like different magazines! I see what you mean, but I think the idea is that if someone who knew nothing about fieldsports were to pick it up, they'd go to bed more informed that evening, and it's a face of fieldsports that the editor is happy to share out in the open. Also, they need to sell some copies too so I suspect it must be working as a form of differentiation.

Finished Fieldsports magazine on the plane. It's ok, lovely photos, but it's not very relatable, apart from the food bits. I mean, I'm not actually in the market for a sporting estate. I don't really know what to do with that information...

JabaliHunter

There is not much to interest me in Rifle Shooter or Sporting Rifle; and Shooting Times has to be one of the worst in terms of value for money... No way that its worth the cover price...

I've had so many subscriptions in the past, but now the only ones I have (and recommend) are:
Gray's Sporting Journal, which is always a good read (I'd buy a lifetime subscription if they offered one)
Sports Afield, for varied international hunting interest

My latest finds are Angler's Journal (quarterly) and Guns & Ammo - Precision Rifle Shooter (used to be annual, now quarterly I think)

I occasionally buy Trout & Salmon and The Field at the airport, but don't subscribe.

I will try Pursuit - looks interesting