Keeping weight on spaniel

Watson1

Hi I got a spaniel pup who is coming up to a year old. He is still on puppy food and is feed twice a day and I cannot keep weight on him. Any ideas before I take him to vets to get him a check over??

gelert

Tripe is best for weight gain.

Watson1

Everything is up to date he is giving 2 full bowl full a day and also meat supplement I have tried everything and he still won't put wieght on, he is feed more than my adult dogs

Craigsaun

I had the same worry , tikka is 4 now and looks great ,she eats tripe mixed with gain 24 , which is greyhound food .i feed here once a day now but she does have a small feed tee time if she has been working .she has always been a very busy girl and it's only been this last year that here wait seems to have settled

Klenchblaize

He needs to chill some so get him on The Stalking Directory along with all those members of well-exercised keyboard fingers but too many venison pasties fighting for space beneath a well cinched 36" tacticool leather belt!

K
Ps: There are enough informed and sensible replies here to permit a stab at humour before anyone gives me greif.

malmick

I'd try him on raw, my ESS and Sprocker thrive on it. The Springer is a hard worker and the Sprocker just gallops everywhere. There's all sorts of ideas and opinions on it, so it's worth reading up on and making up your own mind, BARF, biologically appropriate raw food, bones and raw food etc.

Which ever way you go wean him gradually from what he's on to what you choose and what suits him.

Best of luck.

shbangsteve

I have a cocker. In the Autumn/winter I can't keep the weight off her. I Autumn calf my cows and there is always calf milk around. No matter how many cursings or blasts with the volume washer she gets , she always has her head in a milk bucket.
Probably wrong but perhaps you should try some full fat milk, certainly fattens mine up.