Lion research

CarlW

I thought you might be interested in a few pics of the first of the lions we are darting and collaring on behalf of the Mozambican government in order to provide lion movement and range data in our area.

Note that the data will be used only for scientific and conservation purposes; our employed biologist will not disclose it to us or to our PHs.

Kind regards,

Carl

Attachments

• IMG-20190719-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190719-WA0002.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20190719-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190719-WA0001.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20190719-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190719-WA0000.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 59
What darting technique are you using Carl, bait point under the lamp from a vehicle?

We've got loads of baits out. Once they hit the baits, we go back and dart on foot under the lamp. Holly, our biologist (a girl!) is doing it.

Ha !

Have you come across it before?

I was first introduced to it some 20 years ago on the Ranger's course - however I had no idea of its value and significance

Ha !

Have you come across it before?

I was first introduced to it some 20 years ago on the Ranger's course - however I had no idea of its value and significance

Not me (as a dumb hunter) but our vet and biologist are fans.

I'm quite excited by this latest study.

Bit less posh!

Must be more sophisticated than the manual tracking with yagi antennas (they’ll have your eye out if you’re not careful) that we used for the red deer on Exmoor and the Quantocks back in the 90s though?

The radio tracked darts we developed were useful for preventing picnickers getting a shot of Immobilon when they sat down as well!

I had to look up yagi antennas :-|

Nice to see you've got young lions on your patch though Carl

Yes. He's a nice young male. Roughly a four-year-old or so.

Our current estimate of numbers is thirty-forty lions spread across 3 or 4 small prides plus a few loners.

Ideally, we want to collar lionesses but are struggling to get them on bait. Will probably end up with a mix across the four collars we have been given.

Back