Looking for an RCO course

scrumbag

Hi folks,

Is anyone (clubs or companies) offering an RCO course in the not too distant future?

Myself and a good buddy (Both NRA members, regular club shots and can provide references) are trying to do the course but seem to always have problems making the dates at Bisley.

If you could fit in a couple of extras on your day we'd really appreciate it.

Please comment below or drop me a PM with dates and a price if you can help.

TIA,

Scrummy

Glyn 1

I think you also need to do the Range Safety Officer Course prior to doing the RCO Course now unless you already hold that qualification?

Glevum

The link Tam posted is not the current course. You do need to have done the RSO course first.

scrumbag

Yes I see about RSO. I just don't see why I suddenly need 3 days of instruction and ~£250 to become an RCO. Didn't used to take that much time or cost so much.

Scrummy

Glyn 1

Yes I see about RSO. I just don't see why I suddenly need 3 days of instruction and ~£250 to become an RCO. Didn't used to take that much time or cost so much.

Scrummy
You better sit down, its £640 unless you do it through a club who provide all the facilities foc in which case its £330

Orvil

It might just be that the RSO course would tick all the boxes unless you are shooting on MoD ranges.
The reason the RSO course came about was that there are a myriad of different style ranges being used by private clubs and the RCO course is limited to static ranges ala MoD. The RSO course also covers running ranges for pistols and S1 shotguns which simply are not within the remit of the RCO course.
It has basically filled the hole left when pistols were banned in '97 and that symbiotic relationship between shooters, the police and the military with regards to range management, commands and procedures was effectively was kneed in the knackers.
The RSO course encompasses the (old) RCO course and adds to it considerably. The RCO course is now a bolt on that covers the RASP and dealing with the military. It also includes the HME (high muzzle energy) process that is required on all military ranges but is not applicable on private ranges.

Spiker

Scrumbag.
We were in your position last year. Having just renewed my RCO ( and HME) plastic card at a cost of £46 we have followed the example of Diggle ranges and my two clubs now run our own RCO courses for our members. Free of Charge. Due to NRA increased fee's were also cancelled our affiliation with the NRA thereby costing the NRA around 500 membership affiliation fee's. You only need the NRA if you shoot at Bisley or use MOD ranges and they know it. The costs are prohibitive and will only increase, just ask the Artist Rifle Club.

Milligan

ridiculous, I did the NRA RCO a few years ago (feb 17) and it was £133 quid, just checked, and that included HME.
The course is not bad but the "test" at the end was a farce.

P.S. is the "Commercial" really applicable to individuals?

Last edited:

scrumbag

Scrumbag.
We were in your position last year. Having just renewed my RCO ( and HME) plastic card at a cost of £46 we have followed the example of Diggle ranges and my two clubs now run our own RCO courses for our members. Free of Charge. Due to NRA increased fee's were also cancelled our affiliation with the NRA thereby costing the NRA around 500 membership affiliation fee's. You only need the NRA if you shoot at Bisley or use MOD ranges and they know it. The costs are prohibitive and will only increase, just ask the Artist Rifle Club.
Hi Spiker, which club is this?

Scrummy

Klenchblaize

Tip:

Dont forget to renew your RCO qualification. It will be darn expensive to get it back as you'll need to do the full course and at commensurate cost again.

K