Mincing and Vacuum Packing

ATJW

Good evening,

I am looking into getting a mincer and vacuum packer for the venison that i process. I currently joint up the bits a can and any off cuts go to the dogs, but i'd like to try and reduce the "waste" [dog food] pile by mincing the meat. Does anyone have any recommendations for both the vacuum packer and mincer?

The other question is with the mincer i am thinking of running the tripe and other "bits" that the dog usually gets to save time in the dog food preparation with cutting it all up. Is this easily done or do you think it would be a mess making it more hassle than it's worth? If anyone on here already does this any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Firefly

In my experience a cheap Lidl/ALDI mincer won’t cut the mustard. You need to spend a bit (200-300) and you will not regret it. Heavier the better too. As far as vacuum packers. Andrew James is excellent, vacuum bags from ebay or amazon but get ‘embossed‘ones.

I’ve been mincing and packing all day today myself !

Incidently vacuum sealing is not just for food, I do - cleaned brass cases, ammunition, first aid kit, emergency toilet paper, the list is only limited by your imagination !!

best wishes, Ff

TomT3

I have Andrew James vac pack and mincer and for the cost I think they are excellent . Mine don’t get heavy use but do get used enough.

VSS

The other question is with the mincer i am thinking of running the tripe and other "bits" that the dog usually gets to save time in the dog food preparation with cutting it all up. Is this easily done or do you think it would be a mess making it more hassle than it's worth? If anyone on here already does this any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
More hassle than it's worth. Dogs are very happy chewing up big natural lumps of gut, lungs etc. Why any one would go to the bother of mincing stuff for them is beyond me. Unless perhaps you've got a toothless hound?

SDC7x57

The two best bits of kit you can buy......we started out with a 1500W Kenwood mincer and it lasted about five years. We have a larger beast now from Weschenfelder - a bit more expensive (+/- £170) but well worth the investment. As for the vac packer, we use the Foodsaver one we bought from Lakeland five years ago - still going strong.

To deal with the dog bits, chill them right down till they're stiff but not completely frozen solid, then they'll mince up easily.

RichardAllen

Had a Weschenfelder mincer, vacuum (and sausage stuffer) for years - regular use, and proper cleaning - just the job

Hook'N'Bullet

In my experience a cheap Lidl/ALDI mincer won’t cut the mustard. You need to spend a bit (200-300) and you will not regret it. Heavier the better too. As far as vacuum packers. Andrew James is excellent, vacuum bags from ebay or amazon but get ‘embossed‘ones.

I’ve been mincing and packing all day today myself !

Incidently vacuum sealing is not just for food, I do - cleaned brass cases, ammunition, first aid kit, emergency toilet paper, the list is only limited by your imagination !!

best wishes, Ff
Id say your couch is Vac sealed aswel :rofl:

Woodsmoke

More hassle than it's worth. Dogs are very happy chewing up big natural lumps of gut, lungs etc. Why any one would go to the bother of mincing stuff for them is beyond me. Unless perhaps you've got a toothless hound?
I mince chicken, pheasant, duck, and goose carcasses for the dogs. The reason? It lets me mix other ingredients like carrot, seaweed, etc into it before packing the meat into 1kg tubs ready for the freezer. We feed our guys Natural Instinct, which already comes in plastic tubs, and this is a great way of both reusing the tubs and making the most out of the carcasses. They also get raw bones to keep their teeth cleaned and let them have something more interesting to chew on :thumb:

Incidentally, I use an Andrew James mincer that cost around £70. Look after the blade and it'll do you proud!

Erik Hamburger

I can recommend the following:
  • La.Va vac-packers (lots of options, starting from £295)
  • Buy the best, heaviest duty vac-pack bags you can find, I use the 160 Micron range from La.Va, anything less strong and you increase the amount of problems you may get. Yes.. expensive, but cheaper long-term: Less wastage.
  • Buy the heaviest duty highest power Stainless body Mincer you can afford, again if you economise your mincer won't mince, it will push out a puree/slurry.
When mincing venison, first partial freeze the meat (Diced meat on a tray, 30-40 Min in the freezer) and add a little vegetable oil (1-2 %) to the diced meat to lubricate the mechanism, unless your venison is already relatively fatty.