Money saving tips from a Cheap Barstard

caberslash

Hi all,

Given the 'cost of living crisis' that people are blabbing about (I'm feeling it in primer/power/projectile prices) I thought I would share some tips.

'Free Postage' for the sender!

Like most of you, the primary benefit of this site for me is flogging stuff. So it stings a bit when you land up paying Royal Fail a fair whack for postage. Some try and keep costs down by using couriers like MyHerpes but they are usually rubbish too as staff on minimum wage and not particularly bright, often delivering to the wrong address or putting parcels in bins etc.

So, the first tip?

Royal Fail offer a 'Special Delivery Guaranteed' service which costs a little bit more than 1st Class with all the trimmings (signed for, tracked, insured etc), think around £8 for a small parcel and £12+ for larger ones.

This service is insured to £100 or something like that, with extra costing not much more. So I now send all my sales via this service, full whack.

Why? Well if Royal Fail deliver on time, you 'customer' is very happy. However, if they don't deliver before the promised time, you can claim the costs of postage back so long as you have the reference number and reciept stating the cost of the service. It's easy to track a parcel online, see when it was delivered, and claim the money back.

Tracking- https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

Claim form- Claims Centre

There are a couple of caveats like not offering this service to remote addresses (think seperare islands) or accepting before last collection times (although they will happily let you pay for it!).

I'd say it's very much worthwhile as when using this service, I'd say Royal Fail have been late about 50% of the time, usually because the recipient's address is usually visited by the postie after the 1pm guaranteed time, which is a decent return for 'free postage'. They send you a check in the post about a week after you make the claim. May depend on where you send stuff from, and I have been known to use some 'more remote' post office locations... :norty:

Do I 'feel bad' in any way for doing this? Not at all, Royal Fail offer this deal and I'm taking them up on their terms. This is the same company that put innocent postmasters in the slammer for years on flase charges so f**k them...

Tip 2, save money on shopping bags without having to lug them to the shop.

Learnt this one from a short stint working as a waiter at a Chinese (Cantonese) Restaurant a while ago at weekends, they paid in cash and food!

So, for those that know, the Cantonese diaspora is renound for being tighter than two coats of thin paint. So, their trick was to lift all the empty fruit and veg cardboard boxes (sometimes emptying part full ones into others) and use those as carriers when selling their delivery food or carryout.

I've rarely paid for a carrier bag since, it's free, environmentally friendly (recycling!), very convenient and they make great makeshift zeroing targets (look for ones with white bottoms ;)).

Hope these help, look forward to hearing some tips from fellow cheap b*rstards!

Tim.243

Hi all,

Given the 'cost of living crisis' that people are blabbing about (I'm feeling it in primer/power/projectile prices) I thought I would share some tips.

Like most of you, the primary benefit of this site for me is flogging stuff. So it stings a bit when you land up paying Royal Fail a fair whack for postage. Some try and keep costs down by using couriers like MyHerpes but they are usually rubbish too as staff on minimum wage and not particularly bright, often delivering to the wrong address or putting parcels in bins etc.

So, the first tip?

Royal Fail offer a 'Special Delivery Guaranteed' service which costs a little bit more than 1st Class with all the trimmings (signed for, tracked, insured etc), think around £8 for a small parcel and £12+ for larger ones.

This service is insured to £100 or something like that, with extra costing not much more. So I now send all my sales via this service, full whack.

Why? Well if Royal Fail deliver on time, you 'customer' is very happy. However, if they don't deliver before the promised time, you can claim the costs of postage back so long as you have the reference number and reciept stating the cost of the service. It's easy to track a parcel online, see when it was delivered, and claim the money back.

There are a couple of caveats like not offering this service to remote addresses (think seperare islands) or accepting before last collection times (although they will happily let you pay for it!).

I'd say it's very much worthwhile as when using this service, I'd say Royal Fail have been late about 50% of the time, usually because the recipient's address is usually visited by the postie after the 1pm guaranteed time, which is a decent return for 'free postage'. They send you a check in the post about a week after you make the claim. May depend on where you send stuff from, and I have been known to use some 'more remote' post office locations... :norty:

Do I 'feel bad' in any way for doing this? Not at all, Royal Fail offer this deal and I'm taking them up on their terms. This is the same company that put innocent postmasters in the slammer for years on flase charges so f**k them...

Learnt this one from a short stint working as a waiter at a Chinese (Cantonese) Restaurant a while ago at weekends, they paid in cash and food!

So, for those that know, the Cantonese diaspora is renound for being tighter than two coats of thin paint. So, their trick was to lift all the empty fruit and veg cardboard boxes (sometimes emptying part full ones into others) and use those as carriers when selling their delivery food or carryout.

I've rarely paid for a carrier bag since, it's free, environmentally friendly (recycling!), very convenient and they make great makeshift zeroing targets (look for ones with white bottoms ;)).

here is one... :tiphat:

Fadcode

Just for information, Royal Mail has nothing to do with the Post Office, except they use them as agents to collect the mail, it wasn't them that put the sub-postmasters under stress over the Horizon System.

muddy42

Ive stopped buying special oils like WD40, bike oil and 3in1 and just use engine oil one of those small ancient pump oiler cans. Gun oil is the exception because it has extra anti rust chemicals in it.

gixer1

Hi all,

So, the first tip?

Maybe you don’t blow your nose of £20 notes….🤔

😂😂

paultap

Hi all,

So, the first tip?

I have used Royal Mail special delivery quite a few times and they will refund the cost of postage if they are late. The royal mail online track and trace system however, for this and normal parcel delivery can be an absolute joke In trying to get it to accept the tracking number at times, designed more to frustrate than help. They managed to lose an important document I sent via special delivery, so they are not infallible.

Fair Hill

Those cardboard boxes are great for storing bits in the shed, for starting the fire in the stove, for using in a bee smoker or just throw a wet one on the compost heap.

My top tip is get a homebrew starter kit and literally turn water into wine. I got interested through reading about gorse wine on this site, had a crack off it and it is beautiful stuff, since then I've found a good supplier of stuff and upped my game and made cider, beer, ale and pilsner. There's 23 litres of Merlot ready to bottled in a couple of days and there'll be a batch of Shiraz started straight away after that, then a few more cider for the summer barbeques. Wine works out about 1.50 a bottle and beer/cider about 70 cent a pint, great little hobby.

tozzybum

Yep 65p a litre apple juice some yeast and 5 spoons of sugar gets a gallon of gods finest cider .
Beating on a Sloe riddled farm gets the ingredients for a great winter warmer too.
Not used gun oil for years ,sewing machine oil far cheaper and it works.
Tools come from car boot sales ,hand drills a quid ,brickie hammers 2 for a quid and my demi John's cost the same.
Books you can get boxes of for pennies at charity fairs and car boots.

Attachments

• 20220520_180733.jpg
    20220520_180733.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220520_180746.jpg
    20220520_180746.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211123_112406.jpg
    20211123_112406.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 16

Fadcode

Have you seen the price of toilet tissue lately?

That's the last thing we want.
Its all about saving money, I read and use the guardian, don't need toilet paper, just a stout nail in the wall to hang the paper on, i was thinking of building an outside loo, so i couldn't sit there all day reading, double whammy, save on electric, toilet paper and eyesite, whats not to love.