New 300wm build.

New Avon Arms

tac29136

Looking for advice on parts for a new build of mine.

Calibre is 300wm.

I have decided on a 24" Proof Research carbon barrel.
The rifle will be my long distance rig.

Any thoughts on actions and also a lightweight adjustable stock...?

srvet

Choice of action depends on your budget! Mine is a blueprinted Rem 700 but a friend has a very nice Borden. Just bear in mind that some actions e.g. Tikka have restricted magazine length which can be an issue with seating depth unless the barrel is short throated or you single load. You won’t get a better stock than the PSE composites E Tac range. Strong, light and very ergonomic. I went for a Lothar Walther barrel as the very hard steel may last longer in a fairly high intensity overbore cartridge (7RM)

Outback

If I were to rebarrel I think I would go to a 28" as favoured by the Americans for prone long range and a slightly lighter profile barrel for the walkin so the weight would be about the same .

ejg

I have not had a proof barrel yet but really would like to try one. Last year I walked past the Proof booth at the IWA. They were only a few yards next to our booth but I never got around to talk to them. This year I will try to see them.
Dom Byrne in Ireland has fitted a few and he seems very happy with them from what he told me.

Tac 29... who will build your rifle?
edi

tac29136

Hi ejg. ..Dom will be building my rifle. He has built 2 rifles for me so far and in my opinion he is top class.

I'm thinking of going full vustom action, Borden, Defiance, Ultimatum Precision...etc.

Bottom metal, Atlasworx.

Stock, definitely a PSE ETAC.

Trigger, Jewel.

tac29136

True Biathlonjimmy, I have read that the magnuns take a longer barrel to get the best out of the round, but I shouldn't loose too much with a 24" barrel I'm thinking. It should be good for long shots and also be good to hit steel at 1k I believe.

ejg

Think 24" is just about the shortest practical for the 300wm but for me the longest practical in the field especially with a mod. Compromises.
edi

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod