paperwork for Germany

pete evans

Well-Known Member
been invited on a boar hunt in Germany in December. I've sorted my kit out and my European firearms pass (assuming it is still valid) my host tells me that there is some sort of shooting test that I should supply. does anyone have any experience of this? I have dsc1 and did an advanced deer manager course with Jelen, both of which had a fairly rudimentary shooting test. is this adequate to satisfy this requirement? or is their another uk test that is transferable?
all advice appreciated


Well-Known Member
Hi Pete

Good to see you recently after some time!

I believe some countries accept the DSC1 as equivalent to there on mandatory paperwork.
The test you refer to may well be the local 'running boar' test at a range/facility in the locality.

Pretty sure BavarianBrit will be along soon to clarify/confirm.



Well-Known Member
I suspect you might need a Foreigner's Hunting Licence, aka Auslaenderjagdschein, as part of which you might need to pass a rudimentary (though possibly including a moving target) rifle-shooting test, and proof of insurance (in German - but your UK insurer will probably provide that, if asked).

However, I think the requirements vary from state to state of the Federal Republic - so perhaps best to ask your host?

Mike L

Well-Known Member
There was a young lady on my recent DSC1, who was going to hunt in Germany with her father, she was told to do her dsc1 as it proved her shooting skill.


Well-Known Member
Any Schiesskino along your route to your hunt if booked in time will run a competence test, recognised in all hunt gatherings in Germany, an Auslander Jagdschein is nearly always a must have, especially in state forest areas.


Well-Known Member
An Auslanders Tagesjagdschein is a must have to be legal to hunt anywhere in Germany. At the start of a driven hunt day the hunt owner/organiser is sure to want to check that each hunter is papered up along with his/her greeting & the rules for the day ie what is or not allowed to be shot.

Heym SR20

Well-Known Member
Speak to your hosts, but in my experience you will need

1) The Jagdshein for Visitors and get this you will demonstrate that you have an equivalent of their Jagd hunting examinations etc. An FAC is usually good enough, but also showing DSC1 and 2 is even better. You host is also vouching for you. This now has to be done ahead of you arriving, or certainly where I hunt.

2) You will need to pass the German hunting test. From memory its 3 shots a seated and rested position, 3 shots standing and 3 shots at a running target. The target is a boar and its from 50m. It's not that difficult, but will be if use a heavy moderator and are used to shooting of bipods, sticks etc. There are scoring rings on the target and you have to get over a certain score to pass. If you can keep all your shots inside a paper plate size then you will be fine.

3) Insurance - you need third party liability. BASC covers you for overseas trips, but I usually get local cover for c€20 for the week.

Provided you have the above you can hunt on your own provided you have the correct permissions etc. Usually this will mean being on a stand with clearly defined arcs of fire.

4) Currently to take your own rifle is easy enough with the European Firearms Pass which is freely issued by your local Firearms department. God alone knows what will happen post BREXIT - nobody has a clue, although it looks as if you will have to get a temporary import permit if you are coming from outside the EU.

When it comes to the actual hunts, spend time with your hosts before hand and get them to explain very carefully what you can and cannot shoot. Find some good pictures of male, female, old and young boar, fallow, roe and red deer - have these on your smart phone and these then avoid any language difficulties.

With boar - if it has a big arse and is towards the front of a group of pigs, its a mature female. DO NOT SHOOT these. Its their breeding stock, plus the old females in order.

If its big and hairy with big shoulders and on its own - it's a big old male - may have a big trophy fee. If its three or four together, then a mid sized keilers - depends on what your host tells you.

If its small, or middle sized - fill your boots.
Last edited:

pete evans

Well-Known Member
Thanks Heym SR20. I contacted my hosts and they stipulated that I need the Schiessnachweis test which is the 3 shots running 3 shots sitting 3 shots standing. Corinium range at Kemble sorted me out with a lesson and test that I thankfully passed that will be accepted. The lesson was really helpful and regardless of needing the cert was worthwile. So it looks like everything is in place. Will post a report on how the trip goes!