PLANES GAME BULLET CHOICE ?

Hi i run 150 sst hornady for deer but would like to run something a little heavier for a little more punch thanks again for the replies.
accubonds seem to fit the bill im going to try and work a load up for these. ill keep you all posted on the load development.

I came back from africa end of last month, from a great trip shooting plains game. Didn't get a Duiker so smallest animal was a mid sized warthog sow, decent sized boar, 3 Impala, Blesbuck, Nyala, Kudu, wildebeest and Eland. Shot warthogs at 10 and 30 yds, kudu and nyala at about 260, eland at 50.
I used Lapua Mega 180gr and they performed well on all animals. Not destructive on the smaller animals but didn't just pencil through and allow them to run a mile. One Impala ran down hill about 60 yds. Pigs dropped either on the spot or one ran about 20yds. Kudu ran 20 yds as did the nyala. Eland went down the hill about 20 yds. Bullets were found in both the kudu and eland.
As for accuracy they were ok, and I quickly worked a load up giving about a 1" group at 100 yds. However I only made them up the day before we left so had to go with the best on that day. With some more messing about they could probably be improved. I zero'd 2" high at 100yds which put me on the money out to 250 yds with just a little hold over at 300. That said it was never my intention to shoot out to 300, but now I've been I can see that in some terrain that range is not uncommon and you should be proficient at taking shots. Luckily I managed to close the gap on all the animals to a more comfortable 250 or so, but shots at 260 full of excitement, off sticks with spectators sure adds to any cracks in your ability so practise off sticks, then practise a bit more. Often you'll be shooting from above targets so drop is reduced and remember you are aiming for the bullet to transect the heart. So from high above shooting into the upper shoulder could be required for an exit the otherside down in the chest.
TBH I doubt my shooting with a 3006 would allow for better groups, someone with more skill could probably shoot those rounds tighter. All in all I was happy with those bullets so was the PH. Fortunately I have a few so can play with loads a bit more but I won't bother trying to get that famous cloverleaf group, an Eland is a bloody big target and if you miss it's because you rushed, were too excited, in a bad position etc not because the bullet was 1/2" off target.

Hope you have a great time, and remember practise shooting off sticks out to 250 yds.

The Nyala was shot walking from the dam, quartering slightly towards me. So shot into shoulder, exit on opposite side bottom of chest.
This is the type of terrain you could be in. Had we tried to get closer (we had already stalked into this animal for a number of hours) we would have been down in the bush and had absolutely no chance of seeing him before he heard us. Elevation was key on a lot of hunts I made that week.

Attachments

• P1020112a.JPG
    P1020112a.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 50
The Nyala. I think the best stalk of the trip, the best shot of the trip. I was comfortable and confident (albeit shaking like a leaf) and he had no teeth left so was a great cull animal. I am having him mounted as a shoulder mount. Hope this wets your appetite.
Have you booked your trip? If not and you would like to hear about the guys I went with get in touch and I can point you in their direction.

Attachments

• P1020119a.JPG
    P1020119a.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 31
I used 200 grain Sierra game kings and 180 grain nosler BT in my 300 WM these are two I dug out of warthogs
707ad033d5f692db92569edfbfdc2151.jpg

I've been lucky enough to hunt in SA several times now, always used a .300wsm loaded with 168gr Barnes TSX bullets.
For any calibre rifle for African Plains Game select a premium bonded type or full copper expanding type such as the Barnes and all will be fine.
African game is no different to any other game, correct bullet placement with a good quality bullet kills.

I used 200 grain Sierra game kings and 180 grain nosler BT in my 300 WM these are two I dug out of warthogs
707ad033d5f692db92569edfbfdc2151.jpg
Don't take this the wrong way but I have probably shot 10 warthogs with 30-06 and 180 or 165 grain partitions and they all passed through. The only warthog I have shot that didn't pass through was with my 243. what were the conditions do you think why these bullets didn't pass through .
Tusker

Norma Oryx in my 7mm, wildebeest & Kudu ran 20 - 25 yards but everything else dropped and there were no bullets recovered, as said placement and confidence are a big thing.

Don't take this the wrong way but I have probably shot 10 warthogs with 30-06 and 180 or 165 grain partitions and they all passed through. The only warthog I have shot that didn't pass through was with my 243. what were the conditions do you think why these bullets didn't pass through .
Tusker

I shot about 10 warthogs and 12 others all passed through except these 2 both shoulder shots at about 150 meters you could see on both a lump in the skin which was the bullet one was buy it’s back leg

The Nyala. I think the best stalk of the trip, the best shot of the trip. I was comfortable and confident (albeit shaking like a leaf) and he had no teeth left so was a great cull animal. I am having him mounted as a shoulder mount. Hope this wets your appetite.
Have you booked your trip? If not and you would like to hear about the guys I went with get in touch and I can point you in their direction.

woodmaster feel free to pm me your outfitters details please.

Hi i run 150 sst hornady for deer but would like to run something a little heavier for a little more punch thanks again for the replies.
accubonds seem to fit the bill im going to try and work a load up for these. ill keep you all posted on the load development.

Nosler Accubond 180gr will deal to anything you want to take on your trip. Any premium .30 cal hunting bullet will do the job, it doesn’t really matter which one you choose.

The concern should always be at the lighter end of the target species weight range. I’m amazed how many blokes don’t understand this, but a hard, non-fragmenting premium bullet like the Accubond can be a spectacular failure on small, light bok like springbok or duiker when the animal is hit too far behind the shoulder. If the bullet doesn’t meet enough resistance, or destroy some part of the CNS, the lightweight antelope will get knocked off its feet, but will occasionally get up and run away. If the conditions and trackers are on your side you’ll find it, but if not then it can be a right pain in the arse. And its very embarrassing.

The solution is to this is simple, just bring the point of aim forward to centre of the shoulder and a small bok will 9/10 instantly crumple.

I've been to Africa hunting four times and the last two trips I have taken my 30-06 and used Norma Oryx 180gr ammunition.
I cannot speak highly enough of these bullets.
Everything I have hit with these has dropped dead to a single shot at ranges from 30m to 250m.
My trip this year I was fortunate to hunt seven different species from Steenbok and Duiker up to Zebra and Kudu. Seven animals for seven bullets.
I would urge you to look at them, you will not be disappointed.

I've been to Africa hunting four times and the last two trips I have taken my 30-06 and used Norma Oryx 180gr ammunition.
I cannot speak highly enough of these bullets.
Everything I have hit with these has dropped dead to a single shot at ranges from 30m to 250m.
My trip this year I was fortunate to hunt seven different species from Steenbok and Duiker up to Zebra and Kudu. Seven animals for seven bullets.
I would urge you to look at them, you will not be disappointed.

+1 for the Norma Oryx 156gr in my 7mm 5 anumals Impala - Zebra out to 200yds.

I have used Norma Oryx factory 180gr in 30-06 and hand loaded 180gr in .308. Both work very effectively from klippspringer to zebra and kudu.

Been to Africa 5 times for plains game up to kudo,, I used my 7x57 and my 270, but settled on my 270 and Barnes TTSX for the last three, as the P.H. loved the Barnes TTSX deep penetration and terminal knockdown. Barnes are a great bullet, but they do bounce about, not a problem in wide open areas, but in the U.K. I don't tend to use them. While sitting on the top of a kopi we watched a herd of blesbuck moving away at a measures 320 yds, in the middle was a badly injured blesbuck dragging a rear leg, she was slowly being left behind, and the P.H. ranged her at 650 yards, and told me to cull her. In held on her spine and she dropped like she was poleaxed, Barnes are great bullets to use in Africa. I will be 73 in January and sadly doubt that I will go again, but W.T.F. if I died over there what better way to go. NEED to get my other knee joint replaced and start getting fit again. Guy Swartz here I come next year, or the year after. deerwarden.

Guy's the person I've been talking too about doing a hunt. Was supposed to be next year but right now my mum's not so good (she's coming up, so I'm not complaining).
He says my .270 & 130/150gr bullets will do the job just fine. I'll likely use either Sierra Gamekings or Hornady Interlocks.

Hi Odders, your 270 with premium bullets will work well, if their put in the right spot. Guy is runs a great outfit, and Clint his P.H. is a mine of information on local wildlife. Clint also has a fast offshore boat if you wanted a days sport fishing as well. Lots of game, great areas to hunt in, and good food and accommodation. Make sure you hunt Africa one day, you will love it .deerwarden

Back