Rabbits.

iain b

Hi all. Ok, I was on one of my perms last night. A target rich environment!! Shot lots of rabbits. Most of them in the middle of the field where I can’t recover them. Of the ones I did recover, all of them were full of tape worms. I always wear gloves when gutting. The question is can the rabbits be used or are they fox food.

Freeforester

Depends on whether you are planning to cook them after cleaning, etc?

I'd've thought the idea would be to shoot them for eating, maybe you could sit for foxy overlooking the gut pile tonight?

TomT3

Pretty sure you can - Meat obviously needs to be thoroughly cooked and I wouldn’t eat the infected part of the body (if there is tape worm cysts on it). I personally don’t like the thought of it so wouldn’t eat them though.

TomT3

Was there actually worms inside or just the cysts? As Ive never actually seen a worm in a Rabbit and I’ve gutted quite a few - Cysts loads but never seen an actual worm.

TomT3

Seen loads with cysts just not actual adult worms -not in recent times - 20 years ago when I was younger I may of whipped the guts out without realising it. To be fair I’m glad I haven’t had them with them in!

Last edited:

shakey jake

im assuming you are talking about tape worms in the guts? if you are then you have removed them in the field, and as rabbit isnt a meat you often serve rare i wouldnt worry about any in the meat as cooking will denature the proteins in the worm, however the cysts freak me out! i will still eat other parts of the rabbit but the cyst area is binned.
i generally only see bad worm burden where rabbit numbers are high and have been for a long time, id say a good cull is in order

iain b

im assuming you are talking about tape worms in the guts? if you are then you have removed them in the field, and as rabbit isnt a meat you often serve rare i wouldnt worry about any in the meat as cooking will denature the proteins in the worm, however the cysts freak me out! i will still eat other parts of the rabbit but the cyst area is binned.
i generally only see bad worm burden where rabbit numbers are high and have been for a long time, id say a good cull is in order
That’s what I’m up to now. Rabbit fence along one side. Other side of fence like Oxford Street on Christmas Eve. Crawling with them.

liongeorge

Freezing kills any tapeworm cysts within muscle etc. Perhaps gut them and freeze them and cook thoroughly. I always freeze them before feeding to the dog.

TomT3

Ploughed and water logged. Got stuck last time I tryed
Not being funny but have you tried walking to pick them? That’s a lot wasted meat for either you or your furry friends even if it is the humble rabbit....

iain b

Not being funny but have you tried walking to pick them? That’s a lot wasted meat for either you or your furry friends even if it is the humble rabbit....
It’s not funny. It’s just too wet I sink well down. It’s more like the Somme than farm land.