Re-barreling UK

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

Barrels are made by machine . Chambered on precision lathes that someone skilled takes a great deal of care and time getting true to the bore before reaming the chamber correctly for the cartridge in question.
Even Remington?
Actually I think barrels are remarkably tolerant of poor chambering - I can feel my 7-08 and 30-06 M700 chambers are not concentric. Using a stoney point the bullet needs considerable force to seat against the lands to find max COL and is visibly marked on one side. Yet both shoot very well indeed.

Dalua

Even Remington?
Actually I think barrels are remarkably tolerant of poor chambering - I can feel my 7-08 and 30-06 M700 chambers are not concentric. Using a stoney point the bullet needs considerable force to seat against the lands to find max COL and is visibly marked on one side. Yet both shoot very well indeed.
I wonder whether this is the natural difference between what's expected of mass-produced, stalking 'very well indeed' and bespoke, F-Class/Benchrest 'very well indeed'?

There is undoubtedly a law of diminsihing returns in attention to detail and quality in all things - but those who depend on the smallest margins will, I guess, want the greatest precision in manufacture and assembly.

Bowland blades

Even Remington?
Bit out of context how you pasted my post ! I was describing factory against custom at the time .
Truth be known with so many folks unable to pass level one shooting test without sticks or aids first go is statically a custom barrel isn't going to help most folks . Nor is taking a massive amount of effort and time finding the best load !
To those who are capable of shooting to the highest standard , it matters though , not on all shots taken but a few yes, its nice and reassuring to know that the gun and the ammo is never the weak link the rest of the time . Also cleaning is so way easiervand faster in a true custom barrel , brass life is longer

Sonicdmb73

Bit out of context how you pasted my post ! I was describing factory against custom at the time .
Truth be known with so many folks unable to pass level one shooting test without sticks or aids first go is statically a custom barrel isn't going to help most folks . Nor is taking a massive amount of effort and time finding the best load !
To those who are capable of shooting to the highest standard , it matters though , not on all shots taken but a few yes, its nice and reassuring to know that the gun and the ammo is never the weak link the rest of the time . Also cleaning is so way easiervand faster in a true custom barrel , brass life is longer
My theory is that if under ideal conditions. I can hold half MOA or less. Then under less than ideal conditions I have a bit more leeway than a rifle that will only hold one or more MOA.
As for finding the best load etc I think that it makes a difference. In that confidence in your kit helps with your performance.

Sonicdmb73

I wish I could hold a half MOA or less. :)

I know a lot of shooters that own 1/2 MOA rifles. The trouble is that most of those shooters are 4 MOA or more. :rofl:
I suppose I am lucky enough to own rifles that are capable of that and more.

harrygrey382

Barrels are made by machine . Chambered on precision lathes that someone skilled takes a great deal of care and time getting true to the bore before reaming the chamber correctly for the cartridge in question.
I know how barrels are chambered. What I don’t understand is how you can trust a very well respected company to manufacture a barrel but not trust them to cut the chamber

8x57

Distinguished Member
Another reason to buy a Blaser. The only time you re-barrel is when you're changing calibre!
I always thought that but after looking at many parts of the R8 I wondered about their longevity due to the use of composites and small components that didn't appear to be very robust. I wonder if all the other parts will wear out at the same time as the barrel. :-| Yes I know that being of modular design you can just about replace everything like Trigger's broom but certainly not empirical construction like a traditional rifle such as say a K98.

Night Vision Store