Rem 700 SPS Varmint with 26" Barrel

Ferryman

Ok
Hampshire are in the bottom 10 as regards to variations etc.
I already have a Rem 700 in .308 with 26" varmint barrel and if I get it screw cut and put a moderator on it, it will become the most unwieldy things imaginable.
Has anyone had a 26" barrel chopped down to say 21" then fitted with a reflex moderator.
If so how did it effect the accuracy say out to 300 yards.

Alternatively I put in for additional .308 which would come with shorter barrel and ready threaded for moderator but with 3 month wait.

TIA

Siggy

Ok
I already have a Rem 700 in .308 with 26" varmint barrel and if I get it screw cut and put a moderator on it, it will become the most unwieldy things imaginable.
Has anyone had a 26" barrel chopped down to say 21" then fitted with a reflex moderator.

Alternatively I put in for additional .308 which would come with shorter barrel and ready threaded for moderator but with 3 month wait.

TIA
Hi, I had a 308 remington with a 26" fluted varmint barrel which I got cut down to 21" and screw cut as soon as I got it. It did one inch groups at 100 meters but I never took it out to 300. It worked but was nothing to write home about. I got the best accuracy with sako 123grain rounds, and worked fine on muntjac and fallow.

I wish I still had it sometimes so I could rebarrel it in 6.5xsomething but that's life and it's never going to be a Sako 75...

bluesako

ive shot my friends remmy 308 out to 600 its a ltr model with 20 inch barrel no problem just get yours chopped to 20 inch you wont regret it I,m having my remmy 243 vs chopped 20 20 inch soon cheers dave.

Tim.243

Ok

TIA
I have 2 26" 700's with T8's and work on the theory if I can put my sticks in front of me then the rifle goes on them.

We are all far bigger/wider than the rifles we carry, an old boy who used to drive my 7.5 ton recovery truck used to say " if the front goes through then the arse will follow" lol

Tim.243

Muir

I have a 20" 308 Ruger Precision I shoot out to 1000. Accuracy is generally not related to barrel length.~Muir

JTO

Alternatively I put in for additional .308 which would come with shorter barrel and ready threaded for moderator but with 3 month wait.TIA
Get the nod on the phone or Email from plod, and order the new rifle. 3 months is not long to wait, I had to wait 6 months for two Tikkas.

ejg

I chop most of my rifles to 20", have a few 308's at 20" and taken deer out to 460m with them. 300m is no problem. Accuracy mostly goes up with barrel shortening and one has the chance of putting a good new crown on the end. No reason why the remmy shouldn't produce 1/2" groups if the rest of the rifle is put together properly.
edi

Tim.243

I chop most of my rifles to 20", have a few 308's at 20" and taken deer out to 460m with them. 300m is no problem. Accuracy mostly goes up with barrel shortening and one has the chance of putting a good new crown on the end. No reason why the remmy shouldn't produce 1/2" groups if the rest of the rifle is put together properly.
edi
sounds good, what was the deer you shot a 460m?

Tim.243

ejg

sounds good, what was the deer you shot a 460m?

Tim.243
Sika Spike, also took a stag at 427m and several around the 300m mark all last season as we had very good weather and did a bit of hill shooting.
I don't like stalking in close as one mostly ends up in an awkward to shoot position with a rushed shot. 150-300m is my favourite from a stable position.
edi

Ferryman

Thanks for all the replies.

I will contact Neil McKillop and and get a quote and see how he is fixed to undertake the work.