Removing hex head bolt with minimal clearance

Sauer 100 Stainless XTA - Discover Now >>>

nicowilson

I'd like to remove the lock in a cabinet. The deadbolt is attached to one long edge of a u shaped bracket. The other long edge of the u shaped bracket has a number of short round bolts attached. As the key is rotated in the lock, the deadbolt moves in/out and these bolts move with the deadbolt.

The u shaped bracket is attached to the deadbolt with two bolts with hex heads. Unfortunately the allen keys that I have are too long to fit inside the bracket. I cannot remove the lock itself as there is no "wriggle room" as it sits direct on two bolts that are welded to the cabinet.

Here's a photo. All suggestions of how to remove the hex head bolts are welcome.

Thanks

LeftHandGuy

Cut down an allen key to fit. One of the best features of a cheap allen key is that it is all one consistent shank. Cut or grind until it fits.

Klenchblaize

A hex bit and an adjustable spanner if the rachet is too wide? Or as has also been suggested, cut down the allen key and use either a small ring spanner or that trusty mini adjustable to apply additional leverage.

K

Edinburgh Rifles

good allen keys have ball heads on one end for this reason

kgcQW.jpg

nicowilson

Thanks all for the advice. There isn't sufficient clearance for a hex bit and a small ratchet. Cutting down an allen key with an angle grinder wasn't successful (don't ask!). A ball end key didn't work because the edge of the door got in the way.

I've invested in a set of stubby allen keys and these did the trick.

rodp

Thanks all for the advice. There isn't sufficient clearance for a hex bit and a small ratchet. Cutting down an allen key with an angle grinder wasn't successful (don't ask!). A ball end key didn't work because the edge of the door got in the way.

I've invested in a set of stubby allen keys and these did the trick.

At a guess you didn't put it in a vice to cut it down ?? :doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edinburgh Rifles

But they break off. I've got a wrecked set of Apel adjustable mounts with a ball head stuck in it.

emphasis on "good" allen keys
I have used ball end allen keys to take off rotor tines on farm machinery,
plenty of surface to apply significant torque...as you found out

send me the mounts and I will get the broken end out for you

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing