Sauer 90 Rebarrel

Ronin

Distinguished Member
You don't often see these lovely stalking rifles for sale (this one isn't), nor do you see anything about them being rebarrelled.

For those that are interested - the 90 predated the 100 / 200 models and offered some unique features - some continued into the later models, others not.

The 90 is a stalking rifle with classic lines introduced in the mid 70's

The rifle had the following features -

Three lug bolt which incorporated rear locking lugs cammed when the bolt is closed

Trigger sear utilised roller bearing for zero wear repeatability of release

Barrel held in place with locking set screws at base of a semi split action

Bolt floats in action as smooth as a greased weasel...

Loaded chamber indicator

IMG-7151.jpg

IMG-7149.jpg

IMG-7131.jpg

IMG-7133.jpg

The rifle came to me for a rebarrel, with the original barrel shot out.

The owner also brought a new barrel (Sassen Cut) to me which was too large a profile - so once id stripped down the weapon, I sent the original barrel and new stainless tube to Sassen Engineering to replicate the original profile.

A week or so later, I recieved the barrels back and I then set about replicating all the dimensions of the original shank.

The Sauer was pretty at the time in that the barrel does not face up to the action shoulder when threaded into the action - instead it abuts to the rear of the action with a set of stainless "washers" that fit on a spigot at the rear of the chamber.

Once the washers are in place, the action and barrel are screwed together to just beyond touch fit and the action clamping screws are tightened (much like the 200 models today)

IMG-7129.jpg

IMG-7135.jpg

This system makes it interesting when reaming the chamber, as combined with the rear locking lugs of the bolt, its nigh on impossible to measure chamber depth in a conventional manner to set the headspace properly (when reaming the chamber)

Once this issue was overcome with some lateral thinking, I prepared the chamber using three flute carbide drills, and carbide boring tools to get the unfinished chamber to .030" undersize and then finish reamed to size using a 243 Win reamer

The chamber finished off perfectly with a light polish

The barrel was then cleaned, reset in the lathe and cut to 24" with a M14 thread to spec - checked with Ring Guage

A protective cap was machined to fit

The barrel was then recleaned and fitted to the action, checked with go guage and tape (closing on go, not closing plus .003") so perfect for a sporting application

Barrelled action then reassembled in stock and off to proof this week

The profile fits perfectly

IMG-7136.jpg

IMG-7139.jpg

IMG-7147.jpg

IMG-7143.jpg

IMG-7144.jpg

Lovely work as always. I really like the classic lines of the sauer 90, very aesthetically pleasing. Is it being re-blued or left as?

Thanks for sharing that, nice to see something different and also a bit of the detail.

Great to give a new lease of life to a lovely rifle.

Well done Ronin, isn't it amazing how every one loves the classic Sauer 90 and wishes they had one.
But when mine was up for sale in all original and mint condition no one was interested, amazing.
Of course I wasn't giving it away as they are making over 3000 + in the states.
my fault no doubt that I didn't advertise it for near to nothing.

I think the rear locking lugs is one factor that doesn’t suit all people and the perception that they may be difficult to Rebarrel / old tech etc etc - all had effect on desirability

As a traditional stalking rifle these are up with the more mainstream models I think

Same as a Win pre 64

Well done Ronin, isn't it amazing how every one loves the classic Sauer 90 and wishes they had one.
But when mine was up for sale in all original and mint condition no one was interested, amazing.
Of course I wasn't giving it away as they are making over 3000 + in the states.
my fault no doubt that I didn't advertise it for near to nothing.
Sounds like we should have teamed-up for a joint SD sale: Your S90 Rifle and my Trijicon Scope!

K

Sounds like a good idea Clench,
Ronin I might agree up to a point but the Sauer rifle designers new what they where doing, after all they are one of the oldest German gunmakers
and I've never heard of one failing, mine is a 270 it's been firing factory rounds for years and they must be using over 60,000 psi each time it goes
off, so no problems there then.
As for re- barreling well you just have to get a good man on the job like yourself.
But I think the steel is so good you must get at least 3,500 to 5,000 rds out of a barrel.
And mine's done bugger all in that regard.

Love mine bought new in .243 from Kennedys

Attachments

• P1030700.JPG
    P1030700.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1030701.JPG
    P1030701.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 14
Nice.

This thread reminds me of my initial approach to the mounting of a classic steel body scope to a S90 while waiting 6-months for a set of one-peice S&K rings with fluted bases to arrive from the US:

I purchased two (2) sets of Redfield rings & bases of the variety that sees the front ring’s spud pivot in the corresponding base and did away with the rear bases that allow for windage. I found that by using a front base & ring on the rear of the action it not only looked more in-keeping with the curves of the S90 action but it made for more rigid mounting.

I still have the polished bases and standard 1” rings. The former match my S90’s silver action although Redfield did offer a special order for the Colt Sauer that would get you an ultra-blued finish on both. See middle ring:
BD4D53E8-34B8-490B-907F-DF3D5B8FF7BA.jpegK

Back