Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellant

Tazz

Having had a bad year for ticks last year including 4 in Scotland Red Stag stalking despite washing all my kit in the Tick Rellelant stuff from BushWear I heard good things about the Sawyer Permethrin. It would seem not many places selling it at all, took a chance on EBay with a seller I have never used, paid £18 for a spray bottle, good customer service, sent me text updates including timed delivery, turned up on time today. What are people’s experiences with the product

Freeforester

You can buy a lifetime supply for about the same cost, and just add it to water to dilute to a sensible strength solution, but I ‘get‘ the convenience of having a ready prepped spray bottle of it.

Tazz

You can buy a lifetime supply for about the same cost, and just add it to water to dilute to a sensible strength solution, but I ‘get‘ the convenience of having a ready prepped spray bottle of it.
I didn’t know you could be a dilute less version, I bought this one off EBay as it was the only option

Oh6

Do you have a link to the product you mean?

Koenig

I have used Sawyer spray on in the US and South Africa. It’s effective against ticks but not seemingly as much on mossies/gnat type insects who seem less phased by it. I used to use DEET, but now only use natural stuff on my face and exposed skin because DEET destroys most plastics.

FISH BOY

Used it for nearly 5 years on my outers and not had a tick since - one of my permissions is full of the damn things, so it must work.

Last month, while packing up a dog walker approached for a chat - I pointed out 4 ticks on her dog.

Says it lasts up to six weeks, but to be sure I liberally spray every four weeks.

Also use Rovince shirt and socks, but been in the wash so many times I’m not sure how effective it still is.

welshwarrior

Have you got a link or product name I’d be keen to buy some.

Tazz

Can you point me in the direction of the concentrated solution with a link or a name please

activeviii

Any chance of a link please. I'm so fed up of being a blood bank

Freeforester

Depends on the strength of the initial purchase, mine was 4,65%, so I diluted it 1part juice to 11 parts water. Soak either by steeping in a bucketful or spraying and let dry.

They sure love that Soft Sassenach blood, lol, but look on the bright side, if/when the ‘local stalking for local people’ gets going, it’ll be us porridge-wogs who are hardest bitten of all, eh? Four to ten per day is more usual in some parts up here! 😳

Hind and Sika

So,

The stuff arrived in the post. I made up four litres of the solution and soaked my socks, thermals, trousers, shirts and jumper for 30 minutes, and then put them all in the washing machine for a spin. They are now hanging out drying.

Do you rinse the clothes after soaking, or just allow to dry without rinsing?

I'm travelling up tomorrow, so hopefully, when I return home on Thursday, I won't have any vampire-ish insects on me.

Sharpie

Deet is a (very effective) repellent for things like flying insects, midges, mosquitoes etc. It's vapour puts them off, but it is not really an insecticide. And obviously has to be re-applied an a regular basis, as it evaporates. Preferably directly onto the skin. It will degrade all sorts of plastics, watch straps, compasses, plastic glasses and sunglasses, camera coverings, etc. Nevertheless it is essential to me in the midgeing season, or hour. I come up in awful long lived itchy lumps when they bite, which seems to be getting worse, and am a midge magnet.

I'm not sure that ticks pay much attention to it.

Permethrin in an insecticide, not exactly a repellent. You can spray it onto your clothing for that to provide a toxic barrier to them. Rovince claim that It gives ticks "hot feet" so they jump off the clothing. Failing that it will poison them after some time. It is also highly toxic to most aquatic life, insects, bees etc. As well as cats.

Rovince have come up with a way of impregnating their clothing into a long lasting wash-resistant matrix, applied to the fabrics before assembling them. Using "Coplymer technology from Utexbel" They say that:

"The active substance permethrin is bound in a copolymer (mainly acrylate and silicone elastomer (poly siloxanes)). This combination ensures a perfect balance between the durability (wash resistance) and the bioactivity (by means of the silicone elastomers, the permethrin can gradually and durably diffuse out)."

See Support & Info - Rovince - Teekwerende kleding for that, and lots more info.

Alternatively you can treat your own clothing with permethrin solutions such as horse sprays etc. A google of e.g. permethrin horse spray, or a trip to your local equestrian supplier may identify some possibilities. I'm sure these don't last as well, but it is quick, easy, and inexpensive to spray it on to any of your outdoor clothing periodically. I spray mine, but also try to make sure that I am completely covered by boots, ankle gaiters and trousers when walking or stalking in tick infested areas. No shorts for me.

I have no experience of Rovince clothing, but ultimately it must surely reduce in effectiveness, either by washing, or by time, as the stuff gradually evaporates.

As to the potential toxicity of permethrin to humans, well Rovince have plenty to say about that on the link that I have posted. I do not think that it is benign. I do not wear my self-treated clothing except when in the field, to minimise that sort of risk.

Neither do I think that soaking clothing in a dilute solution, spinning or letting it drip out onto the ground to dry, is a particularly good idea, particularly if your sewerage system may let it get into streams, rivers etc. but that's just my opinion. I would also suspect that rinsing after drying would be counter productive, but maybe not much different from getting soaked in the rain, or by subsequent washes.

I see that the Sawyer stuff is reckoned to be good for six washes, or six weeks. That sounds about right. Rovince do say that you should never tumble dry their clothing, I'm guessing that that might boil off the permethrin, so air drying only seems like the best policy.

Good luck

Daveg89

I have used Sawyer spray on in the US and South Africa. It’s effective against ticks but not seemingly as much on mossies/gnat type insects who seem less phased by it. I used to use DEET, but now only use natural stuff on my face and exposed skin because DEET destroys most plastics.
For natural stuff I use a product by theye. Think there website is www.theye.co.uk seems a great natural product from my experience.