Suitable ATV/Quad for Reds/Sika

rem284

2013 manual 500 honda worst bike i have had. I have had other honda bikes and they were better. I also have a kingquad 400 which is good but the only way to start them is with the electric starter, ie there is no backup plan if your battery is flat other than jump leads. This might not be good if you are miles away in the jungle when the starter or charging system lets you down.

Chriscotter

I’d go for a 300 4x4 big red and small trailer. I deal in a few quads and no matter what condition the rest is in that 300 air/oil cooled will run forever. Had the 500,400 etc and would never trust one where I take the 300. Your seating position is too high, although I have a kvf 400 iv just bought and really rate it, 10x the old 360. Turning circle of a small cruise liner and been perm 4wd it’s crap on road and rips the yard up but out on fields it’s really capable I pulled a trailer with easy 1t of wet horse poo, picked from field and the low box makes it effortless. The early hondas still make strong money as people realise they don’t need to take it back to dealer every 2 weeks. Good luck

Freeforester

Nearly all the newer bikes are just too high off the ground for easy loading of beasts too, imv. Time was you could lift a beast direct on to the racks, but not so good to do now; C. of Gravity is also a lot higher than was/is on the older ones.

Chasey

When I was in Scotland They used a six wheel drive quad and the fella reckoned it was the only quad he had (He had four) that would take on anything the hill had to offer

It had a tipping back and A winch to drag the deer in to it

Sorry rubbish pic

2018 by markchase8, on Flickr

JasBrn

When I was in Scotland They used a six wheel drive quad and the fella reckoned it was the only quad he had (He had four) that would take on anything the hill had to offer

It had a tipping back and A winch to drag the deer in to it

Sorry rubbish pic

2018 by markchase8, on Flickr
I have looked at a six wheeler, quite a tempting prospect being able to load up so much, and I imagine the tipping bed on the back could make loading a little easier if used with the front winch... but trying to find a trailer big enough to transport that will cost a shed load.

Mate has a 1000cc Canam and loves it .Bit scary doing nearly 80 though .
80 on a quad?! That would be awesome fun...

Thanks for the suggestions all, lots to think about. I've ditched the Ranger plan (didn't like the way it drove, handling was too sloppy and light), and bought myself a Hilux today, now just need to get the trailer and settle on a quad and I'm all set!

foxdropper

Oh yes mate ,he’s my daughters boyfriend now of 9 years .Worked for me at the time .
Was an absolute dream of a morning for him .Sat in a seat for an hour and necked a sika stag ,wandered up onto the heather and necked a red stag roaring .
He still dosnt know the significance of this and to this day, can’t understand how anyone can blank in Scotland lol.
I believe he stalked past another mate who was with us ,who we think was asleep ,to shoot that stag that he says had been roaring for half an hour lol.
One lucky lad . Into his lurchers and terriers now ,peeked too soon .
Was a lovely bit of ground John .Matt had the red stag the other place and I had a pricket .