Surrey Roe Buck Bounty

MARS 4 THERMAL SCOPE SERIES
Out in Surrey this morning. Decent am weather-wise, less of the storms that we saw last weekend. Heavy dew. Arrived at 4.30am at a property that had not been shot for a year.

On driving into the property in the half light I saw ?5 deer 🦌 and a 🦊 in the field on the right, boding well. Moved onto first area through grass fields onto two key fields where are you had thick deciduous feeder woods at the far end. First field had a doe only, onto the next field accessible 20 yards away… there was a lovely buck staring at me at the range of 100 yards in tallgrass. Broadside. Time now was 5 am… can only see the tops of the shoulders… aimed down off Viper-flex sticks guesstimating for vitals… fired and brought the animal down with a liver shot. A good start to the day. This buck is the older of the pair in the snaps here, antlers more parallel, smaller coronets.

Headed back and around the original field that I had seen the animals at first light in light mist. Went round the far end, prepared the area… and called with the Buttolu… and within 15 seconds had the 🦌 derby rushing 200 yards towards me… bloody fantastic action… 2 does and a buck giving it the full beans towards me with just a couple of call bleeps as a trigger. Barked to stop the buck - front on - about 20 yards, off sticks… pulled trigger…animal shot in the neck. The field is surrounded on three sides by woodland. Whilst I gralloched the fine beast I heard a remarkable amount of sound of the remaining local deer barking post the silenced .243 shot.

A great start to the day with two cracking bucks shot by 5:45 am. Had another 30 mins of stalking with no success, but hardly about to complain. Feeling very fortuitous, my one lesson is to really prepare well footwork, line of fire, safety aspects, removing odd twigs in the way, gereral shot prep and positioning BEFORE calling in your prime spots. This 1 minute can be the the difference between success and failure.

What do you thinks of the heads? Lovely and symmetrical. I have shot 7 roe bucks and 1 muntjac buck in total in my last three outings over 10 days… I don’t usually shoot this many, but whilst the Continentals are away the Brits will play. I guess these might be other people’s life time best heads, and I got 2 in a morning. Wow!

Be safe.

Attachments

• B0247380-530D-4150-90DD-CD16C6216705.jpeg
    B0247380-530D-4150-90DD-CD16C6216705.jpeg
    924.1 KB · Views: 1,663
  • A655B561-AD0F-4C3A-853A-884CCA1F2B22.jpeg
    A655B561-AD0F-4C3A-853A-884CCA1F2B22.jpeg
    872 KB · Views: 152
  • 662D6212-A109-4F8C-95EA-93BD422519F6.jpeg
    662D6212-A109-4F8C-95EA-93BD422519F6.jpeg
    557.8 KB · Views: 143
  • F75C8E97-7D42-49C8-8B94-EBB57EABAE5E.jpeg
    F75C8E97-7D42-49C8-8B94-EBB57EABAE5E.jpeg
    829.2 KB · Views: 154

baguio

"This buck is the older of the pair in the snaps here, antlers more parallel, smaller coronets."
I'm confused. That description is of a younger beast. However I can't see that either of those deer are any age TBH.
Also, how did you come to shoot your first deer aged? What country were you in?

Last edited:

baguio

"This buck is the older of the pair in the snaps here, antlers more parallel, smaller coronets."
I'm confused. That description is of a younger beast. However I can't see that either of those deer are any age TBH.
Also, how did you come to shoot your first deer aged 12? What country were you in?

Luke.243

Deer shot in Devon
Accompanied by my dad… been stalking with him since I was 7
1627927060724.jpeg

MARS 4 THERMAL SCOPE SERIES