Teckel training

dvbookshop

I may one day inherit my elderly mother's young Teckel (I know, we told her not to do it). Does anyone know if I have any hope of training him up for deer when he has never had any training of any kind? I've only used labs before and had them as pups. Thanks in anticipation.

Keith Edmunds

I may one day inherit my elderly mother's young Teckel (I know, we told her not to do it). Does anyone know if I have any hope of training him up for deer when he has never had any training of any kind? I've only used labs before and had them as pups. Thanks in anticipation.
I see no reason why it couldn't be trained to track. I know an adult show-bred standard smooth dachshund that has been trained to track after its show career, I believe it was around 6 years old when it started. Being show-bred it is not too fond of cover but it completed a 450 metre trail through woodland using blood on the first 50 metres and just scent shoes for the rest of trail, plenty of bends too - it was a pleasure to watch.

Cranhill

We had labs for many years, had a gap with no dogs and then acquired standard wire haired dachshund bitch puppy then treated her (and her pup) as labs. They won't fetch (they hounds) but they find plus like the water.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5314.jpg1QSu2qFvSamAbI%s%2eJFQ_thumb_5305.jpg

CarlW

A dog with no training is much easier to train than a dog with some training. You will have no problems.

Even better still if your elderly mother has indulged it and spoiled it. It will have confidence and attitude as a result. Perfect for a dog that needs to problem-solve tracks on its own.

The most difficult adult dogs to train are those that have been messed about with by some bloke with a small winkie who has felt the need to be 'pack leader' and all that tosh. It takes forever to undo all the damage that those idiots do.

Good luck with the training!

Kind regards,

Carl

Keith Edmunds

We had labs for many years, had a gap with no dogs and then acquired standard wire haired dachshund bitch puppy then treated her (and her pup) as labs. They won't fetch (they hounds) but they find plus like the water.

[/ATTACH]
Some are more than happy to retrieve.....Our Bella aka Ginger von den Konigstannen

Attachments

philip

My little chap is coming along very well, very responsive, retrieves, has found deer bits and although he slips now then on the house training, it’s going the right way without a doubt , he is a cracking little dog and all is going great, gently Bentley I’ve found is the key with a bit of firmness, but he picks it all up and takes it on board - overall he’s a happy can do anything pup that sticks to me like glue, a real good companion and keen to track - work in progress at a steady rate of knots

Good luck, you won’t be disappointed

Phil

Keith Edmunds

My little chap is coming along very well, very responsive, retrieves, has found deer bits and although he slips now then on the house training, it’s going the right way without a doubt , he is a cracking little dog and all is going great, gently Bentley I’ve found is the key with a bit of firmness, but he picks it all up and takes it on board - overall he’s a happy can do anything pup that sticks to me like glue, a real good companion and keen to track - work in progress at a steady rate of knots

Good luck, you won’t be disappointed

Phil
Glad he's coming on well Phil.

dvbookshop

A dog with no training is much easier to train than a dog with some training. You will have no problems.

Even better still if your elderly mother has indulged it and spoiled it. It will have confidence and attitude as a result. Perfect for a dog that needs to problem-solve tracks on its own.

The most difficult adult dogs to train are those that have been messed about with by some bloke with a small winkie who has felt the need to be 'pack leader' and all that tosh. It takes forever to undo all the damage that those idiots do.

Good luck with the training!

Kind regards,

Carl

Cseskynut

Very different to train compared to a Lab or Springer. Easy put off if you try to dominate them so best imo to just take them out and learn as they gain experience. Now 7 months old mine's out 3 or 4 times a week and she's loving it, and small enough to sit up in a high seat they make great companions on any stalk. Get a Niggeloh follow lead so they have to walk to heel and your hands are free.

Keith Edmunds

Very different to train compared to a Lab or Springer. Easy put off if you try to dominate them .
I think that is a very good point. They do vary from reasonably sensitive to very confident/bold, but they are all very smart, not easily fooled and you need to earn their respect.

philip

I think that is a very good point. They do vary from reasonably sensitive to very confident/bold, but they are all very smart, not easily fooled and you need to earn their respect.

Yep + 1 on above
Mine is coming on very well at his own pace and every day is a new learning curve for him, I haven’t Taken him back to any woods / areas more than once, he loves all the new different bits of ground his confidence grows every day, he is coming to be a nicely balanced dog.
Had a couple of shaky days last week as I had to let my old spaniel go, he was a lost soul for a couple days, without his matriarch but he’s bounced back again, always raring to go

Only issue he has is a problem with Monday - Monday is bedding change day, change the bedding put the old in the wash basket, 30 seconds later it’s back to where he wants it and he’s thrown the new one out and slung it up in the corner out the way :doh: Training in progress.:rolleyes::rolleyes: On my part :)

He is a open sponge, soaks everything up and keeps it onboard, very intelligent little dog, he has been a doddle to train to basic obedience, once you’ve shown him what you want he picks it all up at his own pace, I’ve found he responds and wants to be a team member and be with you, I couldn’t wish for any more as he will be with me 24/7 work and play,

Might have to get another when his is a year old. :)

Keith Edmunds

Yep + 1 on above
Mine is coming on very well at his own pace and every day is a new learning curve for him, I haven’t Taken him back to any woods / areas more than once, he loves all the new different bits of ground his confidence grows every day, he is coming to be a nicely balanced dog.
Had a couple of shaky days last week as I had to let my old spaniel go, he was a lost soul for a couple days, without his matriarch but he’s bounced back again, always raring to go

Only issue he has is a problem with Monday - Monday is bedding change day, change the bedding put the old in the wash basket, 30 seconds later it’s back to where he wants it and he’s thrown the new one out and slung it up in the corner out the way :doh: Training in progress.:rolleyes::rolleyes: On my part :)

He is a open sponge, soaks everything up and keeps it onboard, very intelligent little dog, he has been a doddle to train to basic obedience, once you’ve shown him what you want he picks it all up at his own pace, I’ve found he responds and wants to be a team member and be with you, I couldn’t wish for any more as he will be with me 24/7 work and play,

Might have to get another when his is a year old. :)
You've got a nice steady one there Phil - not the 100% prey-driven-dynamo that some can be. Our two German imports have a strong prey drive, more than any other dog I've witnessed including working terriers.

I was out with Bella last week doing some retriever training and she was doing really well, finding some really tough ones from bramble filled ditches and tall cover. Then at one point her nose went to ground, she 'yipped' a few times did a fast figure of eight and she was off - zig-zagging into the next field, and then the next - continuously giving tongue.

In Germany this is a an expected talent called SPURLAUTPRUFUNG but personally I can do without it. I only experience this a couple of times a year and I hope she will grow out of it. - See link of a test

philip

Blimey. Keith. Thanks for the link
I’d better get a pair of running shoes that is fast tracking, Nugget is enthusiastic but it’s early days for him yet, he is steady and methodical, checks it all out and moves on at a steady rate

Will be getting him out this week on Muntie and fallow AM & PM trails

I’ve been doing zig zag 100 mtr trails with spot blood and Muntjac lung drag - is that too short, in and out of cover across ditches etc, he’s been tracking those ok

I put a Muntie skin,head and legs all intact under some cover, he nudged it then sat and barked/ bayed at it, nudging it every couple of seconds, when I picked up he quickly attached himself to the end of it and scragged it

I’m really pleased how he’s doing, I took him out on a couple of stalks and he walks 3 ft in front out of the way of my feet
When he gets a whiff or a noise he just stops - sniffing and listening looking

I’ve got him on a light tracking lead and he hasn't come to the end of it yet, if I stop he slows down, he has an eye on me as well, haven’t had to pull him up, I think he has found where he wants to be speed wise ( at the moment :))

Both of us are not in a rush, but he can get a spurt on, he’ll probably get more experience and shave off some time later

Thanks for sharing video, it’s brilliant

Cheers

Phil

Keith Edmunds

Blimey. Keith. Thanks for the link
I’d better get a pair of running shoes that is fast tracking, Nugget is enthusiastic but it’s early days for him yet, he is steady and methodical, checks it all out and moves on at a steady rate

Will be getting him out this week on Muntie and fallow AM & PM trails

I’ve been doing zig zag 100 mtr trails with spot blood and Muntjac lung drag - is that too short, in and out of cover across ditches etc, he’s been tracking those ok

I put a Muntie skin,head and legs all intact under some cover, he nudged it then sat and barked/ bayed at it, nudging it every couple of seconds, when I picked up he quickly attached himself to the end of it and scragged it

I’m really pleased how he’s doing, I took him out on a couple of stalks and he walks 3 ft in front out of the way of my feet
When he gets a whiff or a noise he just stops - sniffing and listening looking

I’ve got him on a light tracking lead and he hasn't come to the end of it yet, if I stop he slows down, he has an eye on me as well, haven’t had to pull him up, I think he has found where he wants to be speed wise ( at the moment :))

Both of us are not in a rush, but he can get a spurt on, he’ll probably get more experience and shave off some time later

Thanks for sharing video, it’s brilliant

Cheers

Phil
I am no expert but it sounds like it is all going very well Phil. A steady, methodical dog with a good nose is ideal :)