Teckel training

dvbookshop

I may one day inherit my elderly mother's young Teckel (I know, we told her not to do it). Does anyone know if I have any hope of training him up for deer when he has never had any training of any kind? I've only used labs before and had them as pups. Thanks in anticipation.

Keith Edmunds

I may one day inherit my elderly mother's young Teckel (I know, we told her not to do it). Does anyone know if I have any hope of training him up for deer when he has never had any training of any kind? I've only used labs before and had them as pups. Thanks in anticipation.
I see no reason why it couldn't be trained to track. I know an adult show-bred standard smooth dachshund that has been trained to track after its show career, I believe it was around 6 years old when it started. Being show-bred it is not too fond of cover but it completed a 450 metre trail through woodland using blood on the first 50 metres and just scent shoes for the rest of trail, plenty of bends too - it was a pleasure to watch.

Cranhill

We had labs for many years, had a gap with no dogs and then acquired standard wire haired dachshund bitch puppy then treated her (and her pup) as labs. They won't fetch (they hounds) but they find plus like the water.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5314.jpg 1QSu2qFvSamAbI%s%2eJFQ_thumb_5305.jpg

CarlW

A dog with no training is much easier to train than a dog with some training. You will have no problems.

Even better still if your elderly mother has indulged it and spoiled it. It will have confidence and attitude as a result. Perfect for a dog that needs to problem-solve tracks on its own.

The most difficult adult dogs to train are those that have been messed about with by some bloke with a small winkie who has felt the need to be 'pack leader' and all that tosh. It takes forever to undo all the damage that those idiots do.

Good luck with the training!

Kind regards,

Carl

Keith Edmunds

We had labs for many years, had a gap with no dogs and then acquired standard wire haired dachshund bitch puppy then treated her (and her pup) as labs. They won't fetch (they hounds) but they find plus like the water.

[/ATTACH]
Some are more than happy to retrieve.....Our Bella aka Ginger von den Konigstannen

Attachments

philip

My little chap is coming along very well, very responsive, retrieves, has found deer bits and although he slips now then on the house training, it’s going the right way without a doubt , he is a cracking little dog and all is going great, gently Bentley I’ve found is the key with a bit of firmness, but he picks it all up and takes it on board - overall he’s a happy can do anything pup that sticks to me like glue, a real good companion and keen to track - work in progress at a steady rate of knots

Good luck, you won’t be disappointed

Phil

Keith Edmunds

My little chap is coming along very well, very responsive, retrieves, has found deer bits and although he slips now then on the house training, it’s going the right way without a doubt , he is a cracking little dog and all is going great, gently Bentley I’ve found is the key with a bit of firmness, but he picks it all up and takes it on board - overall he’s a happy can do anything pup that sticks to me like glue, a real good companion and keen to track - work in progress at a steady rate of knots

Good luck, you won’t be disappointed

Phil
Glad he's coming on well Phil.

dvbookshop

A dog with no training is much easier to train than a dog with some training. You will have no problems.

Even better still if your elderly mother has indulged it and spoiled it. It will have confidence and attitude as a result. Perfect for a dog that needs to problem-solve tracks on its own.

The most difficult adult dogs to train are those that have been messed about with by some bloke with a small winkie who has felt the need to be 'pack leader' and all that tosh. It takes forever to undo all the damage that those idiots do.

Good luck with the training!

Kind regards,

Carl

Very different to train compared to a Lab or Springer. Easy put off if you try to dominate them so best imo to just take them out and learn as they gain experience. Now 7 months old mine's out 3 or 4 times a week and she's loving it, and small enough to sit up in a high seat they make great companions on any stalk. Get a Niggeloh follow lead so they have to walk to heel and your hands are free.