Treatment for kennel cough?

FrenchieBoy

I have been told that there is a lot of Kennel Cough in our area and I think my dog might have contacted it. He has only started coughing in the evenings when I walk him and as soon as I get him back in doors his cough stops - This has only started over the last two days. His appetite is good and he is eating well, certainly no different to normal but when I take him out in the evening he starts coughing - He does not do it during the day time!
Can anyone suggest an "over the counter" treatment that is suitable for kennel cough of is it a (Rip off) vet job please?
PRACTICAL and SENSIBLE suggestions are welcome!

NoIDeer

One of our dogs had it a few weeks back, he was fine in himself for the whole time, around two weeks. We didn't go to the vet, kept him away from other dogs except our other dog who didn't show any symptoms. Obviously if he had shown any signs of distress he would have gone to the vet. Told one of our neighbours about the cough, "Gus had that last week". doh!

FrenchieBoy

Thanks for the sensible words of wisdom, much appreciated!
I'm not even sure that it is kennel cough as the only time that Harley coughs is in the evenings, it's not a constant thing and (At this time) doesn't effect him during the day time, it only seems to happen when I want to take him out at night and he would rather stay in doors and have "cuddles" with the wife, and even then as soon as we get back in doors his cough stops almost immediately. His temperature, appetite and behaviour all seem "normal".
My only concern is that I have been told that kennel cough is rife in the area and I would like to play on the safe side.

Buchan

"Kennel Cough" (crap name) is essentially self limiting and your dog will get better without any remedies at all. It's only an issue in the debilitated/immune suppressed animals. But, it is a pain in the bum as the cough can go on for 12 weeks and sounds dreadful. Most vets have had the 3am, "There's a bone in my dog's throat" call that is always KC
It's caused mostly by Bordetella bronchiseptica - a bacteria from the same group that causes whopping cough in children, but as it's self-limiting, antibiotics are pointless. There are a variety of viruses that give similar symptoms, but usually not as severe.
They are infectious while coughing although the usual advice is to leave them 14 days after the first cough before meeting other dogs.
I am also hearing that it is on the up, possibly a consequence of lower social distancing
There are vaccines, some vets do them routinely, some only when the dog is going to kennels

That'll be 10 guineas please

FrenchieBoy

My Haha face 🤣 above is for the very last remark……..bloody typical of a vet from Cumbria………l thought our Yorkshire vets were tight.
You want to see what our vet charges!
They charged nearly £500 to amputate part of our dog's tail when we first got him (The previous owner had not had the injury treated), and then he said that because it looked like it wasn't healing properly he would have to perform the operation again and charge me a second time - You can no doubt imagine what my reply was, and it wasn't too polite, something like "You should learn how to do the job properly the first time and stop trying to rip people off or find another $*&^%$£ job"!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

NullMac

It will go away on its own with no ill effects.

The vaccine is not a guarantee. Maybe we have all just learned that. I have had dogs catch it despite the vaccine. Still do it though as it probably give some protection

Just keep him away from other dogs for a while.

Fosbery Holster

You want to see what our vet charges!
They charged nearly £500 to amputate part of our dog's tail when we first got him (The previous owner had not had the injury treated), and then he said that because it looked like it wasn't healing properly he would have to perform the operation again and charge me a second time - You can no doubt imagine what my reply was, and it wasn't too polite, something like "You should learn how to do the job properly the first time and stop trying to rip people off or find another $*&^%$£ job"!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Now……some time ago we had the need to take our German Wire to the Vet the reason for this visit was she was constantly sneezing snot everywhere……it was like the Fourth Bridge……start cleaning one end, follow her to the other end then start again……we had to do something there was hardly any paint left on the feckin walls !

Anyway during the consultation the Vet said “you know it could be a grass seed in her nasal passage, we need to put a camera down there to have a look” now then l said “if that was the case wouldn’t there be a discharge” “yes” said the Vet well l said there hasn’t been any discharge so you can forget that part of your examination, that saved me £75, I’m not tight you understand but these vetenries charge you for farting in their surgery.

To get back to the German……it was all sorted out with a cheap course of steroids.

Vetenries…….God bless em and their Range Rovers……..

sidesy

We paid 394 pounds for a course or steroids and antibiotics. This cured the problem in about a week. Sadly 3 months later we found out our dog had pancreatic issues, liver and kidney markers, diabetes and a heart murmur.....she was 6. This wasnt picked up 3 months before !! 🤔. My advice purchase the medication on line for a quarter of the price and get a blood test done as a minimum when you go to vets.

Pablo

Evening coughing is sounds like cardiac issues For KC trachea punch test should be positive that means when you pressing front part of neck your dog start coughing

countrryboy

Evening coughing is sounds like cardiac issues For KC trachea punch test should be positive that means when you pressing front part of neck your dog start coughing

I've been lucky and not had kennel cough for quite a few years now ( infact sinc i stopped vaccinating them for it)
But when i went to the vets the 1st time said wot has been said here, medicines don't really help unless it becomes more serious

And to diagnose it they just rubbed the dogs throat as described above and it started coughing instantly.
Does ur dog cough all day or just during and after walks? Possibly ur collar/lead is agravating the trachea like the tst above and only has a
mild form of KC.
But like most things just got to monitor with a bit of common sense and if gets worse or dog in pain/discomfort a trip to vets

Ratel

When I lived for a while in Eire, it was common practice to buy your jabs and boosters from the Vet at 25percent normal cost and inject your dog's personally.

Fishcake

A couple of people in my old village used a spoon of honey and kept dog away from others for a week or so. All cleared up 👍