What powder do you pick

del47

Hi all

total beginner with reloading just got some reloading gear together and got my hands on some part boxes of bullets to try . I want to reload for my tikka t3 in 223 with a 1in 8 twist but where do you start with the all the different powders that are out there and what primers do you go for ?
Any info would be helpful

Cheers del

Highlandsjohn

Hi all

total beginner with reloading just got some reloading gear together and got my hands on some part boxes of bullets to try . I want to reload for my tikka t3 in 223 with a 1in 8 twist but where do you start with the all the different powders that are out there and what primers do you go for ?
Any info would be helpful

Cheers del

Hi Del, good choice of rifle. Get yourself a reloading manual and all will be revealed after you read it. While your waiting for it,you will ger some help online from sites such as
Hodgdon Reloading | Home.
Perhaps some of the guys on here who live close by will come round to show you the ropes. Good luck its a great hobby.Do we reload to shoot or do we shoot in order to reload.john

You should also read up about the powders which are unavailable to us now.

Last edited:

finnbear270

Bullet weights up to 69 grains in your twist will be good, (in my exp) Vithavuori N133, I used their accuracy load in a couple of .223's , very accurate. Steve.

25 Sharps

Bullet weights up to 69 grains in your twist will be good, (in my exp) Vithavuori N133, I used their accuracy load in a couple of .223's , very accurate. Steve.

69s and N140 are a match made in heaven.

One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I started reloading was use European powders as you are more likely to have a constant supply. With the powder shortages a few years back and now REACH banning a lot of US powders turns out that was very good advice.

tom308w

del there is a lot of good info on you tube but get yourself a reloading manual
cheers tom

acj375

69s and N140 are a match made in heaven.

One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I started reloading was use European powders as you are more likely to have a constant supply. With the powder shortages a few years back and now REACH banning a lot of US powders turns out that was very good advice.
What is the lightest bullet you can shoot in a 1.8 twist ,and the heaviest in a 1.12 ,.223.
Hope you don't mind me extending this post.

Colin G

I use 55 grn blitz kings in mine sat on varget powder to very good effect in my 1 in 8 but varget is very hard to get hold of I would choose a powder that is easy to get hold of and my choice would be vit

del47

Thanks for the info guys av ended up getting some Swiss RS40 on recommendation from my rfd will see how it works out if we get a bit fair weather to get out rain rain the now

cheers del