Working dog that can be alone?

JMikeyH

Evening all,

I'm a working bloke and the missus is also at work during the days and evenings, I'm looking into breeds of dog that can be used as workers (not necessarily just deer dog), but are also okay with being alone during the day. I really had my heart set on a Bavarian Mountain Hound, but from what I have read they're not the kind of hound that won't mind these period of being alone. It would be unfair on the dog if I was to get one.

Any breeds of dogs that you guys could suggest me looking into?
(Excluding any spaniels :))

This may be posted in wrong section, feel free to move if need be mods

rem284

A Labrador is one of the easiest dogs. However I think time needs to be spent with whatever breed of dog you choose when it's a pup/young dog to train it and accustom it to your circumstances. This pays off in the long run.

Tim.243

Personally i believe that no dog should be left alone for more than four hrs, there a social animal and need company,
I wriggle my shooting and work around the dogs....when contract welding for a crane firm I have a spare large cage in their stores so they both lay in they no prob. A run 1&2's in the yard, shooting I go home and let the pup out then go back.....
I stalk in the last 2 hours of light so home in 21/2 hrs....

Tim.243

sauer

If it’s going to be alone regularly for these periods of time then

A. Get a kennel and run .....outside able to toilet..plus noises smells etc more stimulation than stuck in the house

B. Look at some of the boarding kennels....lots offer day service now ....drop dog off in morning go to work pick up on way home ....that’s way woman I worked with was able to have a dog

Otherwise she wouldn’t.

Too many selfish folk take dog on then it’s on it’s own all day ....folks come home tired after day work and dog goes bat sh1t crazy to see them and it’s too much for owners .....not the dogs fault

Paul

Richiepolecat

Get 2 dogs, they will be too busy fighting with each other to notice you have left.

Sometimes I have to leave mine for long hours, I have 3 dogs, they have each other, the postman to annoy and do a lot of sleeping.
Even when I am there during the week they do the same thing, a lot of sleeping.

Cawdor118

Get a Spaniel, they are always calm, don’t need much exercise, always happy to sleep most of the day and always do as they are told..........Perfect!

Look at mine, butter wouldn’t melt!
Haha classic! I even got a laugh out of the missus reading it to her Haha.

Sonicdmb73

Get a Spaniel, they are always calm, don’t need much exercise, always happy to sleep most of the day and always do as they are told..........Perfect!

Look at mine, butter wouldn’t melt!
When did it die. :-|
You’re right butter wouldn’t melt :lol:

dodgyknees

I've always gotten around this by having two dogs. Even if it's a main dog for a specific purpose, and a nondescript companion dog. Never had loneliness / anxiety issues as a result. One large dog, one small dog has always worked well. Or like now, two from the same litter.

Best option if you can is to get them both as young pups.

I had this conversation a long time back with a mate who was struggling with a GSPxLab that had very bad separation issues and was tearing the place up. He understandably balked at getting another dog, so I lent him one of mine. Worked a treat and after one month he got a small cross breed of some kind, 'free to a good home'. Those two dogs were inseparable after that, and the daily destruction by the GSPxLab stopped right there.

sauer

I was always told don’t get two pups from same litter as their “ allegiance” will always be to each other and not you ..... seen results of this with a colleague who couldn’t walk two of them together off lead .... just ignored him completely and bolted.

Like idea of two tho ... entertain each other ... 3-1/2 years between my two

Aye your right butter wouldn’t melt

The Singing Stalker

I was always told don’t get two pups from same litter as their “ allegiance” will always be to each other and not you ..... seen results of this with a colleague who couldn’t walk two of them together off lead .... just ignored him completely and bolted.
That sounds more like they dont see him as pack leader. Which is him, not them. I'm speaking as a non dog owner. :)
But my missus has THE VOICE. dogs are happy to cock their snoot at me. But they wouldn't dare upset the missus.

sauer

My two listen to my wife no bother. But when I’m home ( work away ) they basically rubber her when I’m about ..... funny how you get dogs and it in a lot of cases a mans dog or a woman’s dog .

Folk just seem to forget that dogs like us , all individual with their own personalities etc .

Yeah could be right with him not been seen as pack leader ..... but I see the view point of pups together that’s a strong bond to break to be seen as the pack leader .

Obviously folk will agree others disagree ... lot to do with environment and the dogs disicipline / up bringing as well .... let them run riot round you and bound to be ignored .

Paul

The Singing Stalker

My missus is retiring this year. (Going slightly off topic, apologies ) and I asked her what kind of dog we can now get. She laughed and said, "something that doesn't crap a lot."

gonzo

They all crap. The bigger the dog.......

One of the guys at work puts his dog into 'doggy daycare'. A woman who has a smallholding, takes in dogs during the day and they just run around the field line loonies all day and have a great time.
He lookes out of the office winday when it rains and comments on how minging the dog will be. And the fun of having to hose him off when her gets home.

sauer

Want less crap...l.feed raw .....I switched my lab to raw years ago and the amount that comes out of her after switch is a third of what used to get with kibble!
Bit of an eye opener to see what amount must be just filler to bulk it out

Paul