WOT Bird is it?

The facial markings are very different to every image I’ve ever seen of long-billed dowitcher.... are you 100% certain? Those markings are far more akin to one of your species of snipe like Wilson’s, plus the post top behaviour is very snipe like.

The facial markings are very different to every image I’ve ever seen of long-billed dowitcher.... are you 100% certain? Those markings are far more akin to one of your species of snipe like Wilson’s, plus the post top behaviour is very snipe like.
Well to tell you the truth, I thought it was a snipe for about 6 months. I only recently came to believe it is a Dowitcher based on info published by my state. It seems people have been grassing Dowitchers thinking they were snipe. When I saw the photos published by our fish and fame, it dawned on me that it was a Dowitcher. I have shot Snipe in the past. They are more black/gray and white than the Dowitcher and a little smaller. This bird was a real rusty brown and I think it’s legs are longer than a snipe’s. I’ m not an expert but I believe it is a Dowitcher, long billed variety.

Back