Young Lady from Torfaen

AbiW

Hi all,
My name is Abigail, I am 23 and new to the hunting world. I am yet to stalk my first deer. I have hunted rabbits for 2 years but am looking to get onto something larger. I use a .22 air rifle on the rabbits but am inexperienced with any larger calibers of firearms. I have no deer permissions but looking for friends and fellow hunters who may need a spare set of hands to help out with some deer management or affordable stalks. :hind:

spannulman

Welcome. Instagram shows plenty of German or Austrian young female hunters, their hunting club culture seems to help, but here in the UK you are very much under-represented. I hope you find some local contacts, I’m sure you will. There a a lot of members here who have helped mentor young people.

I wish you luck.

Lever357

You could always look at joining a shooting club Abigail - this would give you good experience in the safe handling of firearms, the opportunity to try different rifles/calibres before you purchase, plenty range time (my club has a 25m indoor range and uses MoD ranges for outdoor fullbore use from 100 to 600 yards) and a good way to get your FAC.

caberslash

Hi all,
My name is Abigail, I am 23 and new to the hunting world. I am yet to stalk my first deer. I have hunted rabbits for 2 years but am looking to get onto something larger. I use a .22 air rifle on the rabbits but am inexperienced with any larger calibers of firearms. I have no deer permissions but looking for friends and fellow hunters who may need a spare set of hands to help out with some deer management or affordable stalks. :hind:

Go beating at a local pheasant shoot and ask some people about opportunities after a few trips out.

If you have some experience with horses then you have a fair chance at getting a pony ghillie's job for a season in Scotland. Pay might just cover expenses but if you have time and mobility/freedom then go for it.

Some National Nature Reserves run by NatureScot do deer management and take volounteer placements.

@VSS and @Mouse also not a million miles away?

Kalahari

Welcome, sadly the land of VSS & Mouse a bit far. For those not familiar with God's own country, Torfaen is hours from the Llyn. Still Mouse would be a big help to you as a source of information.

David,

plonker

Welcome from s.wales.
There is a shooting club in tunnels i think down monmouth which is pretty close?
There will also be a range opening up in llanbradach.

Namman

Hi all,
You could join Barry shooting Range. We have a few lady members and shoot all calibres. The range is a converted railway tunnel and hence is all weather .The Range is up to 200metres. We can provide instruction and also tuition.

hairycow

Welcome Abigail, great to see lady’s taking up shooting, my wife clay and pheasants shoots with me and our dogs and she is greatly welcomed on other shoots so go for it and enjoy it.
I do believe as a man that women make much better shots 🤦
goog luck.

AbiW

Go beating at a local pheasant shoot and ask some people about opportunities after a few trips out.

If you have some experience with horses then you have a fair chance at getting a pony ghillie's job for a season in Scotland. Pay might just cover expenses but if you have time and mobility/freedom then go for it.

Some National Nature Reserves run by NatureScot do deer management and take volounteer placements.

@VSS and @Mouse also not a million miles away?
Oddly enough, I do have some good experience with horses and ponies so I shall definitely look into this further, Thank you so much for your help!