A quality sausage maker / stuffer

aris

No worries. I've been making sausage at home for 25 years - so been there, done that. I have both a vertical and horizontal sausage filler - you need something like this for both types, particularly if you are filling solo.

243varmint

I like to use fresh herbs where possible, but having tried a few of the pre-mixed seasonings from the likes of Weschenfelder I found them overly salty.

Recently I have been using this suggestion: Pork Sausage Seasoning | Fab Flavours For Your Homemade Sausages

I scale the quantities proportionately compared to volume of meat I have to mince.

Following the video from Scott Rea I now add the seasoning before I put the basic meat through the mincer. Totally logical, of course, but for some reason that I now can't remember I always used to add it after.

I am still experimenting with the final mix - I have tried adding chipotle, varying the parika (sweet, smoked, etc) - but as a basic list of ingredients I find it pretty good.
I use the weshenfelder farmhouse sausage mix and the boys love it. Helen not so much but I think that's to do with the hog casing. Lamb casings next time to try.

Doesn't putting the dry mix in before mincing block/clog the mincer? Did it once with mine for the second pass and it was a nightmare.

Doesn't putting the dry mix in before mincing block/clog the mincer? Did it once with mine for the second pass and it was a nightmare.
Not had an issue. Mince meat once on course, add dry mix, mix roughly by hand, I usually chill again now, then second pass through mincer on course. Final good mix by hand and stuff into casing.

willie_gunn

I use the weshenfelder farmhouse sausage mix and the boys love it. Helen not so much but I think that's to do with the hog casing. Lamb casings next time to try.

Certainly not that I‘ve noticed. In fact I’d almost say that the slightly drier mix resulting from adding the herbs means that there is less clogging than with just “raw” mince.

I only mince once mind - so the venison and pork belly is roughly cubed, the herbs added and mixed well, then minced using the larger mincing plate. After that it’s stuffing time.;)

Everything is chilled well before mincing.

243varmint

Certainly not that I‘ve noticed. In fact I’d almost say that the slightly drier mix resulting from adding the herbs means that there is less clogging than with just “raw” mince.

I only mince once mind - so the venison and pork belly is roughly cubed, the herbs added and mixed well, then minced using the larger mincing plate. After that it’s stuffing time.;)

Everything is chilled well before mincing.
I chop all venison and pork, chill well, mincing head in freezer to keep well chilled, mince on course plate, chill again, mince on course plate once more, mix in mix and water. Chill over night so rust has had time to absorb water. Then put through the stuffer.

Next time I'm going to try natural lamb casings instead of hog casing to get a smaller sausage.
These are my attempts so far.
Got the Bushwear sausage stuffer now. IMG_20200602_210859.jpgIMG_20200602_210246.jpg