Ballistic tip for 3006

rutland

I currently shoot 150gn federal soft point through my 30.06 for red and sika, On our last trip on the sika they recommended we all use Ballistic tip bullets, I have some Winchester 165gn because that's all I could get hold of, does anybody have a recommendation ideally around 125gn if poss
Thanks

kennyc

I currently shoot 150gn federal soft point through my 30.06 for red and sika, On our last trip on the sika they recommended we all use Ballistic tip bullets, I have some Winchester 165gn because that's all I could get hold of, does anybody have a recommendation ideally around 125gn if poss
Thanks
are you head shooting or did you have need to explode the carcass ? :p

boltmaker

Thanks
I have used Nosler ballistic tip125s in 30.06 and 308,very accurate and reliable.

rutland

are you head shooting or did you have need to explode the carcass ? :p
The reason the asked us to shoot with ballistic tips is that sika are hard as nails and don't know when they are dead, the terrain is generally bad and without the aid of a dog you could quite easily lose them even if they only run a short distance. We are asked to shoot them straight through the shoulder blade to pin them as you would know if you've shot them

jb1

I've used 150 SST and nothing but, for Deer and Boar, I shoot to kill not to tickle. I can't understand all this twoddle about meat damage. How on earth do people expect to drop stuff.

kennyc

The reason the asked us to shoot with ballistic tips is that sika are hard as nails and don't know when they are dead, the terrain is generally bad and without the aid of a dog you could quite easily lose them even if they only run a short distance. We are asked to shoot them straight through the shoulder blade to pin them as you would know if you've shot them
softpoints work just fine for that

A Guy Out West

For what you want, I would say a ballistic tip would be my last choice. Kennyc has it spot on. In my opinion, ballistic tips are too destructive. If you just have to have a ballistic tip, I would guess anything north of 165 gr. would work. If you can get them, a Nosler partition 150 gr or a Barnes 150 TTTX would be a better choice, Both of them will smash bone, go through and through and cause less meat damage.

stalkerboydy

When are people going to realise this!
The perfect round.
Cheers
Richard
Most probably already do but are to tight fisted to pay for them.
If i had to use just one Projectile for all six species of Deer it would be Nosler Partition in what ever Calibre.
I know use Barnes TTSX or LRX in a 6.5x55 which so far has equalled the Partition

kev.rem700

I've used 150 SST and nothing but, for Deer and Boar, I shoot to kill not to tickle. I can't understand all this twoddle about meat damage. How on earth do people expect to drop stuff.
+1 on the 150gr ssts i have never had alot more meat damage that any soft point. As said above i would rather they were dead and lose a burger or two.

Regards Kev

Last edited:

Claret_Dabbler

For what you want, I would say a ballistic tip would be my last choice.....
You would be wrong.

Based on a sample of roughly 150 Sika shot over the past five or six years, shot mostly with 120gr BT's from my 260, and 150gr 30 cal from a 30/06, the Ballistic Tip is an excellent choice.

Talk to a lot of Irish lads, we shoot a lot of Sika here.

NigelM

A subject that is guaranteed to benefit from more opinions than you can shake a stick at.

I have been through it all.

Frangible and quick, quick death, lots of damage if chest shot, very good for neck and head.

Frangible and slow, reasonably quick death, reasonable amount of damage if chest shot, very good for neck and head.

Solid and quick, quick death, reasonable damage if chest shot, need to be spot on with a neck or head shot - little margin for error.

Solid and slow, slow death, little damage if chest shot, need to be spot on with a neck or head shot - little margin for error.

Soft points and bonded tipped bullets hold some middle ground, just don't drive soft points too quickly.

I run different bullets in different guns for different end uses. Bullet choice is all down to what you are trying to achieve and what your priorities are.

Claret_Dabbler

Frangible and quick, quick death, lots of damage if chest shot, very good for neck and head.

Frangible and slow, reasonably quick death, reasonable amount of damage if chest shot, very good for neck and head.....
This is generally correct, a 150gr 30 cal strikes a path between the two options above.

If if you are culling Sika you want quick kills, and you will still get runners.

Last edited:

NigelM

This is generally correct, a 150gr 30 cal strikes a path between the two options above.

If if you are culling Sika you want quick kills, and you will still get runners.
For Sika I go with a heavy bonded bullet driven quite quickly. I will always neck a Sika given the opportunity so the frangible front end makes a pretty efficient job of it with some margin for error, and if a longer shoulder shot is the only option the back half of the bullet will still do the job required of it.

RPA 6MM BR

The Nosler 125g through a 30-06 loaded fairly hot just makes a mess! Used them for a while when I shot a 30-06 but it's carnage!

FISMA

I currently shoot 150gn federal soft point through my 30.06 for red and sika

150gn for a large Red would be a bit anemic, imho, moreso at distance.

Try a 180gr for reds. I use 180gr on Sika and Fallow in my neck of the woods. Excellent energy dissipation between 300 and 450ya.

I could get hold of, does anybody have a recommendation ideally around 125gn if poss
Thanks
I have never seen a 30-06 hunting rifle that shot 125gr's best. Of all the 30-06's I optimized for reloading, around 165gr was usually the winner for precision shooting.

Generally speaking, my 30-06 hunting load is: 165 Hornady SST, 55gr of IMR 4350 (or H4350), Win large primer, and an OAL of 3.24". Again, optimized for precision.

My 180gr, although not as precise for competition than the 165gr, have more than enough precision (and accuracy) for any hunting hunting done under short to medium distances.