bipod problem

willtomand

Ive a Sauer 202 outback and wnt to fit a bipod, but don't wanna drill any holes in the synthetic stock to fit one. The sling stud is right at the end of the stock and not under it like on most rifles. Does anyone know of an adaptor that can be used to attach a bipod. Have looked at bipods that clamp directly onto the barrel but reluctant to go this way due to effect on accuracy?

Been told the only route is to drill/tap another sling stud into the bottom of the synthetic stock.

Hopefully not. :cry:

Hi Willtomand

I shoot a Blaser R93 and had the same problem as you unfortunatly i had to have another stud fitted to the bottom of the synthetic stock.

Regards fletcher

Have you tried using a Karamojo Stick?

It's a Y-shaped stick, with a pointy end

When you are ready to shoot, just jam it into the ground and use the "Y" as a rest for the forend of your rifle.

The tricky part is finding some way to carry around a long pointy thing without getting hurt.

Willtomand

Why are you wishing to fit a bipod, are all your shots in the prone position? The reason I ask is that I had a bipod on my rifle for about 3 decades and always found it front heavy but more importantly, I only used it for the occasional shot. In the end I removed it and started shooting off sticks and have never looked back. On the rare occasion that I have to shoot prone I use my backpack as a rest.

Blot

Life is too short to worry about a hole in the stock.
Put the swivel stud in, maybe even two so that the bipod doesn't dig in when on the shoulder. (Bipod way up front, sling back a bit)
Then you can choose before you stalk if you want the bipod on or not.
Very quick way of having a semi custom rifle. :D
edi

Hi,
I shoot with a 202, and like to use a bipod solely for zeroing. :idea:
I carved a bit of oak into a sort of horseshoe shaped collar that will fit around the narrowest part of the forend and slide back to be a tight fit an inch or two further back. A bit of candle wax rubbed into the oak makes it stick in place nicely. I have then screwed in another sling swivel into the oak, to which the bipod can be fitted.
If my words aren't clear enough shout and I'll try to post some photos.
Mark

I have designed a bi pod with the versa pod as the pod to use . I will post pictures as i member of the site borrowed it .But while you are waiting contact saucer and ask them for a new front stud they will just send one no prob,s as the bi pod will fix to this.

Willtomand,

I think I could quite easily make a "Sauer to Harris" adaptor.

If I recall rightly, your sling stud is in the middle of the front of the forend and the swivel stud lies parallel to the barrel.

So a an adaptor would only need to be an L shape, with a Harris interface slot.

What do you think?

Charles

I too have mixed views on Bipods, and have one for the Heym, but actually found I was using shooting sticks most of the time, and all Bipod was being used for was a rest for standing the rifle on when gralloching etc. I have thus taken it off. On the hill I fund it too short for use in heather so usually end up improvising a rest or using a walking stick.

I use sticks for all standing and sitting shots now. Zeroing I use a backpack. Prone I use the rifle sling wrapped around my arm target style or on the odd occasion when I have a long prone shot my Zeiss 7x42 BGAT Binoculars make a very handy Bipod.

This is an interesting and thought-provoking discussion.

I have a bipod on my Sako for use on prone/sitting shots. I've been thinking about removing it, but if I look back through my records I've taken shots using the bipod just over 10% of the time when stalking down South, and 90% of the time on the Hill.

I was surprised to see how many times I've used it down South, but on reflection I take quite a few sitting shots with occasional prone shots. With the long Harris bipod it gives a very stable platform in both situations.

My standing shots are all off shooting sticks.

I guess it comes down to "use whatever you feel most comfortable with".

willie_gunn

I have just got hold of the chap who i gave the bipod fitting to and he said he will post pic,s to see if it will help you.

willtomand said:
Ive a Sauer 202 outback and wnt to fit a bipod, but don't wanna drill any holes in the synthetic stock to fit one. The sling stud is right at the end of the stock and not under it like on most rifles. Does anyone know of an adaptor that can be used to attach a bipod. Have looked at bipods that clamp directly onto the barrel but reluctant to go this way due to effect on accuracy?

Been told the only route is to drill/tap another sling stud into the bottom of the synthetic stock.

Hopefully not. :cry:

Hi

These are pics of an adapted sling stud for a 202. Get an engineer to drill a hole in the spare swivel stud, the stud fits into a rod which has 2 holes each side to take the harris, it works.

Mine was given to me by 6.5x55, the stainless shaft does not have to be as long as it is, my m8 used a versapod, I adapted it for a harris so the little tit you see on the side of the shaft is not required. I hope this helps, I dont blame you not wanting to drill the fore-end of an expensive rifle.

S5000680.jpg

S5000682.jpg

S5000683.jpg

Hi Just a different note about the 202 I have one in 30.06 plastic stock (No bipod fitted) I have had the front clip pop out of the stock twice when carrying it on the bike, I have a thick leather strap to carry my and when it’s over your shoulder and being twisted at the same time the small pin can be pushed in and twisting it will release it from the stock, I have now solved the problem by using a small sander to reduce the length of the pin so it needs to be pressed well in before it will release from the stock

I hope that make sense, try this with yours if you push the pin in and try pulling the clip out of the stock it is fairly difficult, now try pushing the pin in and twist the clip at the same time and it will come out much easier
Si

Back