Bore tech clean

CDSG Shooting Sports

John Norris

I know I know, but honestly I do clean my guns, but when Stephen said bring your .223 over and I will give it a clean with Bore Tech supplied by Riflecraft I thought ok but you wouldn’t get much out! Well look for yourself. It’s OK I can take the flack:-|
https://youtu.be/z2FYBeNYKm8

jimmy milnes

Steve Kershaw put me onto these due to me having a stainless barrel and eliminator being non ammonia, I was also amazed at the muck that came out too so don't feel bad as I also thought I kept a clean gun.
Regards
Jimmy

SpikeD

Thank you for sharing, having seen many "wonder" cleaners over the years I've always been skeptical about most of the cleaning products so it's good to see a real shooter showing the results, not a salesman with a rifle that's fired 3 rounds and cleans in 3 patches.

The deer man

Nice video John!

Bore Tech is good stuff but after how well it cleans the next best thing I like about it is that it's not messy or stinks so bad it rots your nose! Imagine what some cleaners are doing to your rifle?

Bore Tech's a keeper - the rest went in the bin some time ago!

NigelM

Been using it for 5 or 6 years now, since Riflecraft first bought it in.

The best thing about it is that I never have to take a "fouling" shot anymore.

Great product.

Cottis

Been using it for 5 or 6 years now, since Riflecraft first bought it in.

The best thing about it is that I never have to take a "fouling" shot anymore.

Great product.

Really? That is interesting. As opposed to what previous cleaners/solvents you used. I find that my rifles need a shot or two to be 100% back on the mark whether they have been dry patched, hoppes or bore shine, wet patched/mopped and brush and then dry patched etc. Or using white spirits or whatever. If my bores are cleaned properly, none of them ever shoot absolutely bang on. Close but not bang on.

Which of these cleaners do you use, as I would be interested in having a clean bore that shoots 100% whether clean or dirty.

Cheers

NigelM

When they first sold it to me - or gave me a bottle to go with a rifle I bought from them, Riflecraft were doing a lot of work with the military here and in the US. My understanding is that the US army wanted a cleaning product that the troops could use regularly and would not have to shoot a fouling shot before being on target with a clean rifle. That was one of the main product requirements when it was developed.

I was very sceptical at first, but it works in all my rifles. Having to shoot a clean rifle before I used it in anger was usually very inconvenient.

NigelM

...but don't use it with bronze brushes or jags. It dissolves them and they cause the same blue discolouration on the patch as the copper fouling does from your bore. You will never know when it's clean.

Cottis

Thanks Nigel, I will give it a bash. Do you just use a Nylon brush on an aluminium screw fitting then or just mop it/squirt full of bore tech and then dry patch it out

Last edited:

straightpull6547

I use butches bore shine and my rifles always shoot ban on when clean or dirty. You just have to do it properly, there is no magic here..

Cottis

I use butches bore shine and my rifles always shoot ban on when clean or dirty. You just have to do it properly, there is no magic here..

You need to come and clean my rifles so I can see the difference between your solvents, brushes, jags, patches and mine ha ha. A clean bore in my rifle means the bullet is an inch off and two shots later is absolutely perfect. Bugs the hell out of me. I have tested this extensively on my range but never been able to fully deal with it. I have used Butches, Hoppes No 9, white spirits etc amongst others. The solvent makes no difference as they are effectively the same kind of thing. If it eats in to copper, it removes the consistent conditioning already in the barrel.

I like having copper left in the bore, so I don't solvent and brush it that often as I like the barrel being conditioned. The idea of carbon cleaner and patched out is something I will try to see if it helps the rifle behave a little better post clean whilst leaving any copper residue in situ.

straightpull6547

You need to come and clean my rifles so I can see the difference between your solvents, brushes, jags, patches and mine ha ha. A clean bore in my rifle means the bullet is an inch off and two shots later is absolutely perfect. Bugs the hell out of me. I have tested this extensively on my range but never been able to fully deal with it. I have used Butches, Hoppes No 9, white spirits etc amongst others. The solvent makes no difference as they are effectively the same kind of thing. If it eats in to copper, it removes the consistent conditioning already in the barrel.

I like having copper left in the bore, so I don't solvent and brush it that often as I like the barrel being conditioned. The idea of carbon cleaner and patched out is something I will try to see if it helps the rifle behave a little better post clean whilst leaving any copper residue in situ.

You have a barrel issue, not a cleaning issue.

paul o'

I used to be a KG die hard :doh: Untill i was given some of this to try its far better at removing carb and copper , plus the lack of baby's pee smell is a bonus:rofl:

kenbro

Try this.

Try this.
After barrel cleaning, dry barrel with dry patches, then push a patch soaked in Lock-Ease through.
Stand muzzle down for few minutes until carrier evaporates.
See if it makes a diiference next time you shoot paper.
I shot these yesterday. First 3 shots from cold clean barrel on right, those on left are 2nd three shot immediately after 1st 3. 100 yards.

NigelM

Thanks Nigel, I will give it a bash. Do you just use a Nylon brush on an aluminium screw fitting then or just mop it/squirt full of bore tech and then dry patch it out

Bore Tech sell Nylon brushes and alloy jags to use with their products. I use the eliminator product mainly. If I want a really deep clean I use the copper specific product as well, but that's an annual clean rather than a daily one. I wet patch it, leave it to do it's stuff for 10 minutes, dry patch it to remove the crud. Then put some eliminator on a nylon brush and give it a good scrub and then patch it again it again. On stubborn copper it may need a few more passes of wet patches before finally putting a couple of clean patches through.

Leica Amplus 6