carcass prep/handling

Hello all, I fully expect to be in the position of dealing with a freshly shot boar which is not something I have done before. Landowner will expect an addition for his freezer. Could anyone offer some advice on the accepted method please? Wide angle gas blow torch has been suggested as has a couple of other ways which made me cringe from a hygiene point of view. Also I have in the back of my mind pigs are required to be tested for something before going into the food chain can anyone tell me if this is required or desirable.
I am inclined to skin rather than try and remove the hair and treat it like I used to cut heavy pigs after taking off the fat bacon (anyone remember that?) but that was 30 years ago. I have read the post from 2016 but thought I would post the question as legislation changes.

potshotpat

Regarding Trichinella testing, this is only done because we haven't got Trichinella proven in this country .It's all to do with exporting Pork products to European Countries. :tiphat:

Orion

Regarding Trichinella testing, this is only done because we haven't got Trichinella proven in this country .It's all to do with exporting Pork products to European Countries. :tiphat:
And to confirm that we are continuing to remain trinchinella free surely?

ileso

Hello all, I fully expect to be in the position of dealing with a freshly shot boar which is not something I have done before. Landowner will expect an addition for his freezer. Could anyone offer some advice on the accepted method please? Wide angle gas blow torch has been suggested as has a couple of other ways which made me cringe from a hygiene point of view. Also I have in the back of my mind pigs are required to be tested for something before going into the food chain can anyone tell me if this is required or desirable.
I am inclined to skin rather than try and remove the hair and treat it like I used to cut heavy pigs after taking off the fat bacon (anyone remember that?) but that was 30 years ago. I have read the post from 2016 but thought I would post the question as legislation changes.
Test for trichinella and TB

Enviado do meu PRA-LX1 através do Tapatalk

Thanks Orion kind of you to provide a link extremely useful …. looks like I can look forward to handling a greasy lump of a pig then UGH! much prefer a nice sensible size roe