Cost GP Medical Checks

jcmita

It's that time when I have to renew my certificates, I contacted my GP for the medical checks, and I was given the cost for the checks, £63 upfront.

Out of interest, how much are you being charged for the STAMP?

Xtrema

It's that time when I have to renew my certificates, I contacted my GP for the medical checks, and I was given the cost for the checks, £63 upfront.

Out of interest, how much are you being charged for the STAMP?
£50 for mine. All the doctor wrote was the date my file was created and his signature plus the stamp.
Easy money i reckon.

bogtrotter

£30 but I have been contacted twice by my FEO to say they have had no response from my Doctor and to chase it up
now a little over seven weeks since it was deposited with my medical practice..
Contacted them again yesterday for the second time , got a very helpful person in administration who told me that my
Doctor was on annual leave but to leave it with her and she would get back to me.
She called me back to say she had found that it had not been done but she had found another Doctor in the practice
who would do it that day and email it to the police dirsctly.
Nice to find someone so helpful it seems to happen less and less often these days

jcmita

It won't be long, and they will be charging prohibitive prices to the point of giving up the application. The whole idea for the exercise is to ensure that anyone who has health problems that restrict them from possessing a firearm should not apply. If you have any health problems within the certificates' life span, the GP notifies the police, which is fine according to what we have learned from history.

I say they should lift the bans because they can track our capacity in real-time.

Franchi Matt

It won't be long, and they will be charging prohibitive prices to the point of giving up the application. The whole idea for the exercise is to ensure that anyone who has health problems that restrict them from possessing a firearm should not apply. If you have any health problems within the certificates' life span, the GP notifies the police, which is fine according to what we have learned from history.

I say they should lift the bans because they can track our capacity in real-time.
Yep, originally there was a genuine objective with these GP checks.... since then GPs have realised just what a cash cow it can become.

It should simply be a low cost efficient way of establishing someones mental state for owning a firearm.... instead its been turned into a 'for those that can afford it' exercise.

Tell you something- if my GP asked me for £200 to £250 I would firstly ask for a complete costing breakdown with each element of cost identified, if I see that (which I suspect at that price he is ) bumping up the job up for financial gain unduly, I would serve him notice of reporting the practice to each and every relevant governing body I could find.

Back in the day the clowns at BASC claimed they would sort this with price caps as did other shooting organisations... obviously none have achieved anything.

mealiejimmy

Shame you don't live in Scotland.
Renewals don't require a doctors letter unless your medical condition has changed during the validity of your certificate and you now need to declare that your suffer from one or more of the conditions listed on the application form.

Cheers

Bruce

Apthorpe

The current going rate for a not notably efficient London GP practice is £0. I'd be very interested to find out how a Peebleshire practice can have so much higher costs than a London practice. I suppose it must be some factor entirely beyond the greedy ba5tard's, I mean doctor's, control...like the rent... 💩