Deer backpack

NigelM

What backpacks do people use for carrying roe and muntjac?
Cut the usual gambrel slots in the back legs. Cut around the flat lower knee joint on the front legs but don't cut through the tendons at the back. Create a T Bar with the lower front leg, put it through he gambrel slots in the rear legs and the roe itself turns into a back pack. Not to be advised in a public place. And the back of your coat tends to get a bit messy. But apart from that it works exceptionally well.

Mungo

Cut the usual gambrel slots in the back legs. Cut around the flat lower knee joint on the front legs but don't cut through the tendons at the back. Create a T Bar with the lower front leg, put it through he gambrel slots in the rear legs and the roe itself turns into a back pack. Not to be advised in a public place. And the back of your coat tends to get a bit messy. But apart from that it works exceptionally well.
Do you have a picture or a link to one? I've tried various ways of doing this, and never been satisfied.

Uncle f

Monarch roe sack. Superb works for munties, roe, CWD, and small fallow it is worn around the waste and the sack comes out as a separate entity. Fully washable inner lining
great bit of kit

nun_hunter

The last few roe and muntjac I've shot I've used a bit of paracord with a loop in each end. After the gralloch and legs removed I make a noose in each end with the loop and loop it round the legs and just sling it over my shoulder like a bag. Fine for a carry of a few hundred metres and small deer like roe and munty. It's the smallest, lightest and cheapest way I can think of.

ATM I use an Ikea bag which isn't ideal.

I'd like to buy a Monarch Yool not sure of the best way of contacting them?

Orion

I keep a couple of these around in case I shoot one of the smaller species. Cheap enough at £14.99 from Decathlon, roll up nice and small, and deffo blood proof (unlike some expensive roe sacks I've had in the past!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/waterproof-game-bag-100l-id_8282738.html

Rather than a roe sack I prefer using my Fjallraven Stubben backpack if I'm likely to be sitting out, or a bumbag if it's walking or highseat, and the Decathlon 'deer body bag' is an ideal accompaniment.

https://www.fjallraven.com/stubben

Last edited: