Dm80 moderator

204 Ruger

Just picked up my new .204 rifle and ordered a mod direct from Dave Mercer following some advice from a couple of chaps on here. I have a number of moderators for my other rifles and have seen and tried many others on friends rifles and at the range. I have to say that this one has to be one of the best made mods I’ve used. The key points here are simplicity from an access perspective for cleaning and the quality of the materials and workmanship. To get it open you twist either end off and the main shell is knurled so that you can grip it. I had this one made cal specific which gives a 6mm dia exit. When compared to my T8 and PEZ which are rated up to much larger cals there is significant difference. The T8 is around 9mm and the PEZ large muzzle can is around 11mm. Its an over-barrel mod and is narrower in dia than the T8 so this should help reduce any glare off the rear of the mod when lamping and its also a lot lighter. Its also significantly lighter on the pocket too.

The outer sleeve is aircraft grade alloy, the thread and first baffle part is s/steel, the baffle main stack is also high grade anodized alloy altogether with the bush it has 7 components. Dave will make it as close a fit to your individual rifle as possible. Obviously thread type but also thread length and the bush will be cut to as close a size as possible to your barrel dia without damaging the barrel every time you take it on and off.

Sound reduction: I dont have any specs on how many DB the mod reduces the sound by but will give it a good field test this weekend and post my results.

Overall on first impressions a cracking bit of kit, ill test it out properly and let you know what the sound reduction is like.

Link here to an independant review on UTUBE:

Updated 5th DECEMBER 2011

Well, I took the new rifle out for a test drive yesterday in the cold wet weather. Tried out some new loads and managed a very nice 1 hole group at 100 yards and sub 12 at 200 yards with the 32g VMAX rounds Id loaded up. Rifle didn’t like the 40g VMAX so ill be trying some 39g BLitzkings next and if I can get some the Hornady 24g NTX (just for fun). Anyway the moderator was excellent and made a real nice sound, not tinny at all and brought the noise levels down to around a similar level to the HMR (maybe just a bit higher). It such a light moderator it doesn’t impact the balance of the rifle what so ever. A very happy customer. Thanks Dave.

Last edited:
I paid £150 for the mod for the 204, not sure if for very large cals they are more. Ill PM you his email address.

What .204 did you end up getting. I've had my T3 stainless super varmint for a 18 months, love the thing deadly accurate out to 500yrds+ with the 40gr
V Max.

Just picked up my new .204 rifle and ordered a mod direct from Dave Mercer following some advice from a couple of chaps on here. I have a number of moderators for my other rifles and have seen and tried many others on friends rifles and at the range. I have to say that this one has to be one of the best made mods I’ve used. The key points here are simplicity from an access perspective for cleaning and the quality of the materials and workmanship. To get it open you twist either end off and the main shell is knurled so that you can grip it. I had this one made cal specific which gives a 6mm dia exit. When compared to my T8 and PEZ which are rated up to much larger cals there is significant difference. The T8 is around 9mm and the PEZ large muzzle can is around 11mm. Its an over-barrel mod and is narrower in dia than the T8 so this should help reduce any glare off the rear of the mod when lamping and its also a lot lighter. Its also significantly lighter on the pocket too.

The outer sleeve is aircraft grade alloy, the thread and first baffle part is s/steel, the baffle main stack is also high grade anodized alloy altogether with the bush it has 7 components. Dave will make it as close a fit to your individual rifle as possible. Obviously thread type but also thread length and the bush will be cut to as close a size as possible to your barrel dia without damaging the barrel every time you take it on and off.

Sound reduction: I dont have any specs on how many DB the mod reduces the sound by but will give it a good field test this weekend and post my results.

Overall on first impressions a cracking bit of kit, ill test it out properly and let you know what the sound reduction is like.

Would appreciate his email address too.

Thank you

for the price, these mods cannot be beaten for small cal centrefires. The build quality is top notch, yet remaining light enough to not affect the rifles balance and performance excellent.

Nice, like the laminate stock, crow and foxing tool I presume.

Yes mate, ive got a couple of rifles includinga 22.250 which I love for foxing but wanted one with a bit less kick so I can stay on the shot...Will see what its like at weekend. Its pretty ehavy so recon it should be nice and still.

Got the new rifle then Steve! Happy days mate! Ive got a DM80 on my HMR, cracking Mod, thinking of getting one of the CF ones now too! hope you get on with the new rifle, let me know how you get on!

Got the new rifle then Steve! Happy days mate! Ive got a DM80 on my HMR, cracking Mod, thinking of getting one of the CF ones now too! hope you get on with the new rifle, let me know how you get on!
Yes mate, got it Sunday. First time Ive ahd a thumbhole stock, it feels realyl good. Much heavier than my other rifles due to the Varmint barrel but very nice. Trigger on these is a bit heavy but Ive had a tweek and got it somewhere enar 2lb I reckon.

Updated 5th DECEMBER 2011

Well, I took the new rifle out for a test drive yesterday in the cold wet weather. Tried out some new loads and managed a very nice 1 hole group at 100 yards and sub 12 at 200 yards with the 32g VMAX rounds Id loaded up. Rifle didn’t like the 40g VMAX so ill be trying some 39g BLitxkings next and if I can get some the Hornady 24g NTX (just for fun). Anyway the moderator was excellent and made a real nice sound, not tinny at all and brought the noise levels down to around a similar level to the HMR (maybe just a bit higher). It such a light moderator it doesn’t impact the balance of the rifle what so ever. A very happy customer. Thanks Dave.

hiya stevie,you did well to get a one for £150,just been on the web site,decoying.co,,now £240 !!!!,not bad,a rise of £90,talk about inflation,did you get your,s s/hand,,i have just bought me a howa 1500 in 204,so need a new mod,drop me a pm where you got your,s,mines,a varmint barrel aswell,cant wait to get started,just sold the hornet to a fella on the isle of man,so i can get the variation in,next week,sorted,,ian

Back