DMQ Wild boar qualification

timbrayford

The police are wrongly using Dsc 1 as experiance which it very much isn’t ! As for leaving stalking alone I think you are very naive to believe that
Feel free to tell the police that they are wrong, I'm sure that they will appreciate your opinion next time that you attempt to renew your FAC. I don't agree that they are using the DSC1 as proof of experience, what they are doing is using it as a benchmark to help to establish your good reason for possession of an S1 firearm supported by the safety test that you have to pass to achieve it.

jimbo1984

Feel free to tell the police that they are wrong, I'm sure that they will appreciate your opinion next time that you attempt to renew your FAC. I don't agree that they are using the DSC1 as proof of experience, what they are doing is using it as a benchmark to help to establish your good reason for possession of an S1 firearm supported by the safety test that you have to pass to achieve it.
Good reason is permission or paid stalking not Dsc 1 still why make waves as you seem to be happy the police can make it up as they go along !
Actually at my last renewal I mentioned this to my feo and he agreed it shouldn’t be used for grant of cert , but that’s just my area .

VSS

You are not getting me, Im saying NO ONE should have the right to Kill boar anyway they wish at anytime they wish, which is what happens now, same with rats and stoats.
So, do you think we should have tighter controls on the killing of rats and stoats? If not, why not?

Jagare

I do agree with a few guys on here, it is long past due for proper legislation on wild boar, the amount of times i see pictures on facebook of large sows shot in milk is only doing more damage not managing boar, I use manage but really it's just shooting anything that walks to a feeder without understanding of what people are doing, it is high time for real legislation.
I get the feeling we are trying to educate pork, if you forgive the pun. Amazing how people get as much knowledge about deer as they can but have complete ignorance about the habits of boar. plenty of info on the web about boar and their habits. know your quarries habits and biology and then they are easier to control. studies in Sweden show that boar in woodland cause very little damage thats out weighed by the good they do. Damage to agriculture is a completely different matter. but it can be controlled with the right management.

VSS

Ok, fair enough :tiphat:
What I don't want to see is some animals being given a higher status than others. As ethical hunters we should show respect for ALL quarry (even "pest" species), both alive and dead.
Where we differ is that you would like this to be achieved via enforced legislation, and I would like to see it come from the heart of the hunter.

Orion

I can’t see any issue with wild boar being ‘upgraded’ to a game species in the U.K. and thereby given some defined seasons and means of taking. They were after all one of our original beasts of Venery and accorded considerable respect both in the field and on the table.

VSS

I can’t see any issue with wild boar being ‘upgraded’ to a game species in the U.K. and thereby given some defined seasons and means of taking. They were after all one of our original beasts of Venery and accorded considerable respect both in the field and on the table.
The problem with that lies in the fact that our current game laws were put together at a time when there weren't boar. So, the current situation allows a farmer to control boar on his land even if he doesn't own the "sporting rights" to the farm (which many don't). Elevating boar to "game" status could really mess things up, by taking control away from the person to whom it really matters.

Orion

The problem with that lies in the fact that our current game laws were put together at a time when there weren't boar. So, the current situation allows a farmer to control boar on his land even if he doesn't own the "sporting rights" to the farm (which many don't). Elevating boar to "game" status could really mess things up, by taking control away from the person to whom it really matters.
Okay, poor use of the word ‘game’ - if they were under similar legislation to deer then that should allow control.

timbrayford

Good reason is permission or paid stalking not Dsc 1 still why make waves as you seem to be happy the police can make it up as they go along !
Actually at my last renewal I mentioned this to my feo and he agreed it shouldn’t be used for grant of cert , but that’s just my area .
I believe that I said benchmark, the good reason is obviously to go deer stalking but as many members of SD might testify to the police appear to require something more substantial than mere good intent. I don't necessarily agree with this police attitude but the reality is that in the modern era the authorities are becoming more qualification orientated. I'd be happier with a more formal training structure, if we could get rid of those mind bogglingly petty S1 controls in favour of something similar to S2 which works perfectly well within the context of the law-abiding public.

jimbo1984

I believe that I said benchmark, the good reason is obviously to go deer stalking but as many members of SD might testify to the police appear to require something more substantial than mere good intent. I don't necessarily agree with this police attitude but the reality is that in the modern era the authorities are becoming more qualification orientated. I'd be happier with a more formal training structure, if we could get rid of those mind bogglingly petty S1 controls in favour of something similar to S2 which works perfectly well within the context of the law-abiding public.
Well they should stick to the home office guidelines as is thier job ,
Ps have a little look at the thread about the general licences and wild justice , specifically the parts about mammals , then get back to me how they’re leaving stalking alone because of Dsc certs
FWIW I took wouldn’t be against a safety course for new certs like the one I had to do in Canada , but not like the current system which is driven by greed

Sharpie

Such as hunting them with spears, or running them down with dogs then using a big knife ? Or on horseback doing some pig-sticking. All very traditional. Perhaps we should drive them with dogs and team-shoot them on the run. All legitimate practices elsewhere.

If you like your woodland to be alive with e.g. bluebells, wild garlic, and all the other lovely things, you don't want boar in it. They don't browse on grass or nibble bits of tree. See what boar do, they make badgers look almost harmless by comparison, they can wreck the land with their rooting about. Very quickly.

Last edited:

Orion

Such as hunting them with spears, or running them down with dogs then using a big knife ? Or on horseback doing some pig-sticking. All very traditional. Perhaps we should drive them with dogs and team-shoot them on the run. All legitimate practices elsewhere.
Oh yeah, just as we currently do with deer here in the UK! :rolleyes: Do you seriously think I was advocating all that? Although driven boar is a perfectly valid method for control in the right circumstances - and creates sporting opportunities to boot.

If you like your woodland to be alive with e.g. bluebells, wild garlic, and all the other lovely things, you don't want boar in it. They don't browse on grass or nibble bits of tree. See what boar do, they make badgers look almost harmless by comparison, they can wreck the land with their rooting about. Very quickly.
You’re confusing boar with muntjac there! As per Jagare at post #206, there's plenty of evidence that in suitable densities WB can be beneficial to woodland, particularly our deciduous ones. With their propensity to root around, which clears undergrowth and aids regeneration, it works in exactly the same way as free-range pannage, (eichelmast/eckerich), does for domestic pigs, but with benefit of greater range. The problems arise when numbers become excessive, or populations unbalanced through indiscriminate shooting, then excessive damage occurs to commercial or amenity crops/land bringing them into conflict with humans.

timbrayford

They've used Tamworths instead of Boar at Knepp with beneficial results, it sounds like you've experienced an over-population of Boar!

Buckaroo8

You are talking to someone who used to kill in the region of 1 tonne in weight of rabbits a week and everyone was picked up and used. There is no excuse at all to kill them and not give or sell them.
Contact any dog food maker or game dealer and they will take 200 at a time, as already stated I used to deal with a ton a week. Its laziness on your part, just not interested in picking them up, if it were up to me you would have your firearm tickets removed as no rational person would do that. In most of Europe you would be prosecuted for such actions.
Well it’s a good job you’re not in charge and we don’t live in “most of Europe” then, because not many people would actually have a FAC ! Except for saints like you of course. I suppose you would make everyone eat rats and crows too eh? What’s the difference? I don’t even particularly like rabbit meat. I only eat it because it’s free!
I already contacted several game dealers and they aren’t interested in picking up rabbits from this far away and I’m already operating at a financial loss (like 99% of us) so I’m definitely not going to increase my losses for your sake, by driving 1.5 hrs to deliver rabbits (By the way, dead rabbits don’t care what you do with them)
I don’t like to see food wasted and I give rabbits to anyone who wants them for free and as many as they can take, but inevitably everyone wants only 2 rabbits, delivered to their door, paunched, skinned and oven ready, which takes plenty of time. Time is money!
I even contacted local bird of prey centres and zoos and they don’t even want them!
Things are not like they were a few years ago.

levigsp

Well it’s a good job you’re not in charge and we don’t live in “most of Europe” then, because not many people would actually have a FAC ! Except for saints like you of course. I suppose you would make everyone eat rats and crows too eh? What’s the difference? I don’t even particularly like rabbit meat. I only eat it because it’s free!
I already contacted several game dealers and they aren’t interested in picking up rabbits from this far away and I’m already operating at a financial loss (like 99% of us) so I’m definitely not going to increase my losses for your sake, by driving 1.5 hrs to deliver rabbits (By the way, dead rabbits don’t care what you do with them)
I don’t like to see food wasted and I give rabbits to anyone who wants them for free and as many as they can take, but inevitably everyone wants only 2 rabbits, delivered to their door, paunched, skinned and oven ready, which takes plenty of time. Time is money!
I even contacted local bird of prey centres and zoos and they don’t even want them!
Things are not like they were a few years ago.
We are going to have to agree to disagree, because my phone calls meet with a totally deferent response to yours.and I can get them collected in Thurso and Orford.

Buckaroo8

We are going to have to agree to disagree, because my phone calls meet with a totally deferent response to yours.and I can get them collected in Thurso and Orford.
I’m 770+miles from Thurso and 350+ miles from Orford, so I’m not sure that that’s really relevant to my situation here in mid Cornwall.
Game dealers around here don’t even want roe any more (unless you want to sell them at £1/kg) let alone driving around to pick up a few rabbits (it’s not very often that I shoot 200!) another difficulty is storage. I don’t have industrial facilities to keep them all cool until they are collected and I certainly can’t afford to buy that kind of stuff.