Driven boar scope

tikka_madras

Hi all

I’ve just taken delivery of an over/under double in 30-06. Plan is to use it for driven boar but maybe also some close-range woodland stalking in the UK. Does anyone have any pointers or recommendations for a scope?

I was thinking of an illuminated 1-to something plus swing-off mounts but open to suggestions!

ajr

Swarovski’s 1-6 x 24 EE can shoot with both eyes open fantastic driven scope would be equally at home in woodland

JTO

If George Digweed can hit clays at 100 yards with just a bead front sight....................

Colonel

I used a Leupold VX3 1.7-6x32 which is a nice small scope no illuminated on driven boar but I prefer a Swarovski Z6i like a 2.5-15x44 or the 2-12x50 both are very good scopes. My Swarovski scope is mounted in Apel swing off rings. I was thinking of selling my Swarovski Z6i first gem 2.5-15x44 so if you’re interested let me know.

tikka_madras

Thanks all - the Nickel, Swaro and Schmidt all look the mutt’s proverbials, but I’m feeling the pinch after Christmas and paying for next years holidays and rifle, so I reckon it needs to be £800 and under. I should probably have said that! Is second hand on a quality scope the way to go?

caorach

Thanks all - the Nickel, Swaro and Schmidt all look the mutt’s proverbials, but I’m feeling the pinch after Christmas and paying for next years holidays and rifle, so I reckon it needs to be £800 and under. I should probably have said that! Is second hand on a quality scope the way to go?
Second hand (providing you buy well) on a quality scope is almost always the way to go in the sense that it will probably always be worth what you paid for it so the total cost of ownership over its life will be next to zero. Unfortunately going second hand will probably rule out Nickel as you don't see many of them in the UK and that's a shame as their glass comes to Zeiss standards plus, as you will have seen, they make dedicated running game scopes.

reiver

I have a Leuopold vx-r 1.25-4x 20 with a circle dot ret. a great compact scope for a double rifle for driven boar .

Heym SR20

I have a combination 7x65r with a 2nd barrel in 7x65r so I have a double. I have two scopes. A 6x42 and a Doctor Comfort 1-4x20 with just a red dot. The later is for use as a double and for driven. At 4x it’s more than enough for most woodland type situations, indeed I first mounted a non illuminated 1-4x20 S&B and shot a couple of Roe at 100 yards with it - no issue what so ever.

I tried a 1-6x20 scope but with a 30mm tube it was just too bulky. And with the high zoom with a 20mm objective you have a very small position for the eye and very easy not to have a clear image.

The 1-4x20 are very wide angle. Quite happily shoot clays with mine with the shot barrel.

If I was doing this again I would have a serious look at the Little Leupold 1-4x20 with 1” Tube. They are lightweight, won’t unbalance the rifle and can be mounted very low with swing off mounts.

And if you have swing offs adding something along the line of Z3 3-9x36 or a simple 6x42 for Stalking / Highseat use is simple enough.

With mine I use athe 6x42 zeroed for it as a combination and use for general stalking, keeping the double zeroed to the 1-4x20 - it does shoot to a different point of aim - hardly surprising as the extra barrel adds 1 1/2 lbs.

Lateral

A good used scope is an excellent option, to get something better for your money. MacLeods are a great company to deal with, and have a huge selection of used scopes. RMacleod - The Scottish Firearms and Optical Dealer

For driven, the highest low mag I would go for is 1.7x, and 6x is good for longer shots. So Swarovski 1-6 x 24, 1.7-10 x 42, or similar are great choices.

Now, the biggest issue with scopes on "break action/double rifles" is getting the correct eye relief, because the scopes mount further forward on the barrel, rather than the action.

I agree with AJR, the Z6i 1-6x24 EE (Extended eye relief version) would be excellent, if you can get it with a retical you like.

For mounts, speak to Alan Rhone, they carry most of the QR options, for most rifles.

Did you get this from Donaldson's ?

Andy RV

Have a look at the Karl Kaps scopes, they’re solid German scopes without the marketing of the more well known brands.

I bought a 1-4x22 from optics warehouse for £400 new last year on clearance, doesn’t look like they’ve got any more in stock but it might be worth a phone call?

Too Deer

I recently bought a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 with a V-Brite reticle for my girlfriend's dad to use on his 375 H&H on African game. It seems well put together, the reticle is bright (hence the name, I guess), the glass quality is decent enough and it comes with the usual Vortex lifetime warranty.

For £230, it seems like a solid buy and definitely worth looking at.

tikka_madras

Did you get this from Donaldson's ?
Yes. I’d been thinking about it for a while and when nothing else turned up I made them an offer.

Will take it down to the BSRC and see how it goes next week, probably still over iron sights.

In the meantime I’m going to need to check out all the cracking advice above on Monday, ring round and see what’s available.

I really do like the idea of Z6i 1-6 EE with a simple red dot or similar reticle, but will probably be hard to get hold of and break the budget.