Fallow sausage

RifleTuner

A few weeks ago, my 17 year old son had the opportunity to hunt fallow for the first time here in Southeastern Australia. He was successful taking a young doe and buck which are both great eating animals. He did a lot of the brake down and cut a lot of meat off the frames once we got home. We had about 9kg of venison in various offcuts, though ideally we should have had 10kg of venison to the other ingredients. I added 2kg of pork shoulder, and 2kg of pork fat. I ran all the meat through the mincer on the coarsest cutting disk. Incidentally, I used an Aldi special electric mincer that I picked up for AUD$99. It worked very well, and beat the hell out of the old hand mincer I used to use.

After passing all the ingredients through the mincer, I used a small food processor to mix a few table spoon fulls each of rock salt. black pepper, smoked paprika, fresh rosemary and fresh coriander. I just belted it in the food processor until it was mixed to a paste. I added that to a basin full of the minced meat, poured in 500ml of red wine, and mixed the meat and other ingredients together thoroughly by hand.

I then ran the mixture through the mincer a second time to help incorporate all the ingredients. I used the same course disk, and feel like that gives a good texture to the finished product. We then used a sausage stuffer and some 28mm pig casings to make the finished product.

They tasted good to me, and also got the tick of approval from the son. So pretty happy with the result. I will probably try a South African style Boerewors next, but will definitely make this recipe again.

unnamed-26.jpg

RifleTuner

Thanks guys. The only down side is that my son and I have totally demolished them. Back to eating store bought at the moment until we can get more deer on the ground ☹️☹️☹️