Fly rod

Grannysmith

Hi all,
I am looking for a 9'aftm 8 fast actioned stiff fly rod new or used does anyone know of such a thing?

Willie

I use a G Loomis GLX Distance which is 10ft 8wt which is a very stiff/fast/tip actioned rod. These rods are commonly used for stillwater, bank/boat fishing on reservoirs and are the rod of choice for casting HiD lines using lures etc. but are also useful for any fly fishing at distance.
It will depend on what type of fishing you want to use it for but any decent fishing shop will point you in the right direction.

kripton

Sage Orvis Loomis Hardy or Mackenzie graphine all have models which fit your requirements and at varying prices - I use mainly Sage or Hardy and my guess is that you want it for saltwater flyfishing or perhaps large seatrout
Farlows or Glasgow Angling Centre always have a good selection and, although I stand to be corrected, the nearest comprehensive dealer to you (in Somerset) is probably the Farlows store in Reading - one of their benefits is that you will be able to try any of their stock on the adjoining lake before making up your mind.

Utectok

Plenty around from 100-1000£ somewhere in the £250 mark will get u a lovely rod Greys or hardy should be a good make at that. Price. I fish 9’ 5-7-9-11weight all nrx loomis but expensive lovely to fish and not as stiff as top of the line sage.

gr cz527

i just purchased a vision stillmaniiac 6wt 9ft 9in. very stiff action but throws a decent line. great for stillwaters. as above though try as many as you can.

Attachments

• 20210603_135053.jpg
    20210603_135053.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 2

big ears

Build it yourself?

Built a couple of blokes rods. They are good rods but be warned. Rod building can be addictive

Mungo

Having been down the route of thinking I needed to buy the very best (Hardy, Sage, Loomis etc), I’ve now realised that they’re a complete waste of money. Unless you are a high end pro-level caster, you really won’t notice the difference between them and a budget brand. Variation in casting is much’ much more to do with individual ability and practice than gear.

Airflo or even Shakespeare will do 98/100ths of the top name brands for a tenth of the price.

J.kerslake

Having been down the route of thinking I needed to buy the very best (Hardy, Sage, Loomis etc), I’ve now realised that they’re a complete waste of money. Unless you are a high end pro-level caster, you really won’t notice the difference between them and a budget brand. Variation in casting is much’ much more to do with individual ability and practice than gear.

Airflo or even Shakespeare will do 98/100ths of the top name brands for a tenth of the price.
Couldn’t agree more with this, I had a lesson yesterday and used an orvis hydros 9’ 6w and although it was nice enough and I could cast it ok, I came home and got my £55 airflo rod,reel and line kit out and could cast it much nicer and further in the garden!!

devon deer stalker

Having been down the route of thinking I needed to buy the very best (Hardy, Sage, Loomis etc), I’ve now realised that they’re a complete waste of money.
Wash your mouth out, heathen!:lol:

TBH it's what I recommend to people new to this game, Shakespeare do some great rods.
(however I use Sage for my own personal use!);)

Cheers

Richard

Mungo

Couldn’t agree more with this, I had a lesson yesterday and used an orvis hydros 9’ 6w and although it was nice enough and I could cast it ok, I came home and got my £55 airflo rod,reel and line kit out and could cast it much nicer and further in the garden!!
Sadly, from what I understand, Airflo have gone under :(

Utectok

It’s true it’s pretty hard to get a bad flyrod these days. like binos you spend 100£ for a slight improvement. I don’t think the fish or deer notice what your holding.