German Gun Stock Ranger

A J

I've had a few people ask me about my GGS Ranger stock recently and a few PMs asking for more details, so I thought I'd post a bit of a write up now that I've had it for some time. It's not a stalking rig, but it gets used most nights during predator control and also a sees a fair amount of range use.

As far as I was made aware I had the first Ranger stock in the UK, so I didn't get the chance to see one before I purchased it. With GGS being quite new I did feel like I was taking a bit of a punt, especially when I was considering it against other composite and carbon stocks with established reputations, however the ergonomics / shape of the Ranger were exactly what I needed.

German Gun Stocks are a small German engineering firm who produce a range of custom configurable stocks from their own hardwood laminates. They utilise their own aluminium mini-chassis that is bonded and press fit within the stock that also includes a stainless recoil lug press fit into place. For clarity, this is my own stock that I specced and paid for, GGS have not asked me to write any of this nor have they given me an incentive to do so. It's just in response to the questions I've been asked.

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

Ok, the branding and paintwork is a little loud, but I fancied having something a little different to the rest of my rifles for a change and it can always be painted again once I'm bored of it! More subtle options are available and they'll do any paint combination you like. First impressions were that it was very light for a tactical / dynamic stock, especially considering the aluminium v-block bedding system, adjustable cheek pad and pre-fitted rail. It comes in at 1100 grams, which is only 100 grams more than the adjustable plastic stock it was replacing (with rail also fitted).

General finish to the unpainted stock is ok, but could be a little smoother inside the cut out areas in my opinion. I ordered mine during a period where they were getting ready for a trade show, so it's possible it didn't get quite as much sanding as it could have done. The paint finish, whether it's to your taste or not, is very good however. It feels very durable and the level of grip is perfect.

IMG_6506.jpg

The push button cheek piece is really simple to adjust and remove should you need to. The resolution on the adjustment is really good, so you can really fine tune the position unlike the standard Tikka SV stock that uses preset detents. Standard length of pull including the soft, but not overly squishy butt pad is 13.7" (35cm) which is pretty standard, however the distance from the pistol grip to the trigger may not suit someone with smaller than average hands. That being said, if shooting using the thumb up fingers back 'sniper grip' it wouldn't be an issue.

Fitting the barrelled action into the stock was much easier than in the factory Tikka stock. There's very little wiggle room and the press fitted steel recoil lug practically clicks into place leaving you confident that it's located and seated correctly. I'm using the CTR version with a Mountain Tactical AI bottom metal so thanks to the aluminium chassis / bedding block, I'm metal at both ends and torque is consistent.

IMG_6505.jpg

The cutout sections in the forend really help with barrel cooling on the range and the cutouts in the rear of the stock make handling the stock, removing it from a slip and transitioning between different shooting positions very easy. This makes for a very nice platform to shoot from in varying positions. I regularly shoot from sticks, off bails, fence posts, tree stumps, prone off the bipod etc and I'm always able to get a solid position behind the rifle. In spite of the relatively low weight, recoil seems to be transferred back to the shoulder nicely with less muzzle rise than the factory stock. This was always an accurate rifle, so accuracy hasn't noticeably improved, however I have been able to increase the velocity of my round slightly and maintain the tight group where previously, with the factory SV stock, it would open up. As a result it's an improvement over longer ranges.

In summary I'm a big fan of the GGS Ranger stock. As I mentioned earlier, considering the cost of the stock, the finish under the paint could be a little better in some places where sections have been milled out and if I'm being really picky the forend could be a little stiffer, but it certainly doesn't effect accuracy. It's light, very manoeuvrable and a very nice platform to shoot from a variety of different positions.

Last edited:

jcampbellsmith

Thanks, that's an excellent write up. I've had an interest in custom stocks for nearly 20 years now and that's one of the nicest that I've seen. Well done. JCS

Malxwal

A friend up here has a GGS, different model, very nice feel to it, and as you say, the fore end could be a tad stiffer, but given the barrel channel clearance it's not really an issue.
I believe price is 795 euros ?

bobjs

€795? For plywood? oooof!

imo, a lot of the stocks on the market are so overpriced it’s silly,

for what they are in reality,

beautiful wood once carved buy hand it may well have been worth it, now mass produced by machine and done in possibly half the time? using composit materials and laminate wood are they worth it,

bob.

Malxwal

Horses for courses I guess. Without getting into peoples personal expendable income, it's down to what you want to spend on what you think is worth it.
I spent a lot on my GRS stocks, there is no doubt at all that I shoot better using them, and (at the time) I could afford them. I feel it was money well spent.

Dickie

Malxwal here here your money you spend it how you like!
Often comes up on here be it rifles, scopes, binos, knives etc etc
Cheers

A J

They certainly are expensive for what they are really, but there's not much else like it any cheaper. Perhaps I'm getting old, but everything seems to be expensive these days. I didn't want another polymer stock and the internal aluminium chassis makes this far more than just a bit of ply.

GGS are a pretty small outfit, they don't have the economies of scale of the large stock makers, but that does not mean that they don't know what they're doing. If anything it makes them more agile and able to react to specific customer requirements. Also, it may not matter to most, but they also only use their own in house components, or components made by businesses local to them which I really like. It's not just about outsourcing a part to China at the cheapest possible price point.

I really like PSE stocks for the same reason, they're made by a father and son who happen to know a huge amount about carbon fibre and I'm more than happy to pay a little extra to support that kind of industry.

I guess lastly, this is a rifle that gets a lot of use. It's not a cabinet queen, so it needs to feel just right and do its job well day after day, which it certainly does.

ejg

I met the two lads in charge of GGS briefly when they came past our stand at the IWA. They are or were members of the German Army and seem to know a bit about shooting. They invested heavily in the production equipment as far as I understood. I wish them good luck with their products. Manufacturing in Europe especially small quantities and semi custom items is not easy.
edi

Sarge

Afternoon J.C.i am also interested in the Ranger. It’s been couple of years since. I was just wondering if you are still using the stock and how has it faired kind regards Luke.