How Fat are your Fallow?....

TheCornishman

7D89A1F6-E032-4F00-AD64-33DFF494E8E8.jpeg

So after 2wks of hanging today I butchered my 1st palmated buck.

He was a good animal to take. Big boy but getting on a bit & would've only been going back. He would’ve had definitely done his fair share of breeding. He only had 4x very ground teeth left but just look at the fat on the Caracas

Was so lucky that he presented himself at a time of year when he’d have been at best weight and pre-rut

Has anyone seen fat like this on a WILD Buck before...

Tim.243

View attachment 139433

He was a good animal to take. Big boy but getting on a bit & would've only been going back. He would’ve had definitely done his fair share of breeding. He only had 4x very ground teeth left but just look at the fat on the Caracas

Was so lucky that he presented himself at a time of year when he’d have been at best weight and pre-rut

Had 3 with 20mm of fat like yours...amazing how much the pile on...

Good picture

Tim

johngryphon

A sambar stag,shot by spot lighters and found by me. I cut a hind leg off for dog tucker and fed the remains of the carcase to the wild dogs.

found fat.jpg

found fat 2.jpg

243varmint

Yep.
Pre rut after feeding up all summer on wheat a rape.
Different foods stuffs gives a different colouring to fat. You can tell what they mainly eat by the fat colour.
Wheat gives a different colour to grass by all accounts.

View attachment 139433

Very good providing you don't want to sell it! Over 55kg and the level of fat attracts a reduced £/lb as the saddle etc has to be stripped of excess fat. Thus a 65kg buck gets paid as per a 52kg buck.

Annoying a prime buck is less desirable than a rutted out one but there you go.....

TheCornishman

Very good providing you don't want to sell it! Over 55kg and the level of fat attracts a reduced £/lb as the saddle etc has to be stripped of excess fat. Thus a 65kg buck gets paid as per a 52kg buck.

Annoying a prime buck is less desirable than a rutted out one but there you go.....

Agreed it makes no sense but I don’t sell the meat from the deer I shoot I am far to fond of it!

Beef is the same mind you. The best eating beef is highly marbled with good buttery yellow fat cover but try to sell it?...people have been groomed into expecting bright red and super lean beef that is way too fresh. Madness....furthermore we import wagu and Galician dairy beef as a specialty which is strewn with fat...mental

Rasputin

Loads on this fat lad he was my first fallow terrible head but was so heavy I struggled to lift him up . I was always taught to take the fat off for cooking does everyone else do the same? 71223901-FADC-4BAF-A645-AD3AD98CC7A6.jpeg8F6CBE23-E5A1-4D8D-AD49-25BEC93661D8.jpeg

johngryphon

A fat backer buck i knocked over in Tassy. I love the fatty chops cooked on a wire grill over real hardwood coals. The chop tails are gannetted too.

fatty falla.jpg