Info about German Tell scope

Lars Munk

I was hoping anyone in here might have any info about German Tell scopes.
Here’s what I (think I) know:
-The scopes was made in Wetzlar, Germany.
The same German village where Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss/Hensholdt and Leica are made.
-I was told that Tell scopes was a mixture between a Zeiss/Hensholdt scope body and S&B optics.

And that’s about all I know.
I bought a Tell Wetzlar 6x42 and it looks very simular to an old Karl Kahles Helia S.
And the quality sure screams old german quality, super clear optic and robust steel housing.

But it might all be wishfull thinking, but it would be very interesting if anyone know more than me about these scopes.

BR
/Lars

Attachments

• 193B8334-28E8-4275-8052-2DCBA841C80A.png
    193B8334-28E8-4275-8052-2DCBA841C80A.png
    693 KB · Views: 55

Dalua

Perhaps everyone is reeling from your describing of the city of Wetzlar as a village?

This link suggests the glass may be S&B.

My Kettner and Frankonia catalogues from the '50s and '60s don't mention Tell. However, I get the impression that Kettner's and Frankonia's own-brand 'scopes were perhaps made by the nascent S&B, who perhaps were also stealthily establishing themselves by working under a variety of other people's brand-names (such as Tell, for Kaufmann).

I's also be interested to learn more of the history of these earlyish post-war 'scopes.

Lars Munk

Perhaps everyone is reeling from your describing of the city of Wetzlar as a village?

This link suggests the glass may be S&B.

My Kettner and Frankonia catalogues from the '50s and '60s don't mention Tell. However, I get the impression that Kettner's and Frankonia's own-brand 'scopes were perhaps made by the nascent S&B, who perhaps were also stealthily establishing themselves by working under a variety of other people's brand-names (such as Tell, for Kaufmann).

I's also be interested to learn more of the history of these earlyish post-war 'scopes.
Thanks for the reply👍 Village, city. same same, but a bit smaller. 😂