Introduction Post

Hello everyone,

I've been introduced to stalking indirectly through listening to "The Joe Rogan Experience" podcast and watching "MeatEater" on Netflix. These guys primarily focus on hunting in the US. They speak so passionately about it that I wanted to try it and stalking is the closest that I can get to getting that experience.

What I'd like to work towards is being able to stalk a Red Deer stag in the highlands on my own, butcher it, send the coat and head off to a taxidermist and put the meat in the freezer. I think my rough route to this will start with going up to Garryloop to complete Chris Dalton's introductory course. I'll then head to GAP 180 (my local guys) to get my DSC1 so that I can get a firearms license , my own rifle, scope and gun cabinet. The rifle will be over .270 calibre so I can keep my options open and stalk anything in the UK. I'll need to get a scope, probably with a 6 to 8x magnification, because that is what was recommended in "The Paul Kirtley Podcast" interview with Andy Chatterton (highly recommend this podcast as an introduction to stalking!)

My primary reasons for getting into stalking is to have a freezer full of meat and also to get more in touch with nature. I like the idea of contributing to the countryside as well.

Ok that's it from me. See you around!

Alantoo

Welcome William.

Sounds like you have researched well. Not that I see anything untoward in your plans, but I suggest you keep an open mind regarding your programme and purchases...the more you do, the more information you will have to better determine the next step... :old:

Alan

Welcome William.

Sounds like you have researched well. Not that I see anything untoward in your plans, but I suggest you keep an open mind regarding your programme and purchases...the more you do, the more information you will have to better determine the next step... :old:

Alan

Thanks. It's a pretty rough plan and subject to change as I gather more information.