Keela Munro?

Dawnrazor

Has anyone had a Keela Munro? My second Paramo leaked like a sieve yesterday despite being back to the manufacturer for a factory reproof in the summer and nikwax'd at home 3 weeks ago. I could do with a heavier wieght coat for winter and like the look of the Keela Munro and it seems good money?

Not heavy weight, we get issued them for work, they’re not great and quite crunchy, wouldn’t dream of using it for stalking.....

Not heavy weight, we get issued them for work, they’re not great and quite crunchy, wouldn’t dream of using it for stalking.....
What do you mean "not great"? Quality? Breathability?
It's a winter shoot day-picking up-flanking-work jacket rather than a stalking jacket I'm looking for.

What do you mean "not great"? Quality? Breathability?
It's a winter shoot day-picking up-flanking-work jacket rather than a stalking jacket I'm looking for.

Definitely more a hill walking hiking style and type of jacket, would say it would snag on thorns etc, it’s a relatively lighter weight cagoule type coat. I’m perhaps being a bit over critical of it but it is definitely designed for that market and not the hunting world

The keels will let water through in heavy downpours, they are good water proof jackets, if i am using mine and need to stay quiet it will be worn under a smock..

The keels will let water through in heavy downpours, they are good water proof jackets, if i am using mine and need to stay quiet it will be worn under a smock..
It'll let water through in heavy down pours and they're good water proof jackets?

The Keela Munro jacket and salopettes in my experience are bomb proof and standard issue to mountain rescue teams. But not designed for crawling through the heather.

The Keela Munro jacket and salopettes in my experience are bomb proof and standard issue to mountain rescue teams. But not designed for crawling through the heather.
They’re standard issue to the forestry Commission too, doesn’t make them good, just means they won the contract...... I know a few chaps from the mountain rescue side of things who wouldn’t use them given the choice.....

I used to get issued Keela Munro’s at work, they are alright but wouldn’t spend my money on them.

Most leak at the seams and all mine needed treated with Diver Daves repel to get them repelling water well.

Breathability is limited to say the least.

As Deerstalker mentioned their usage by mountain rescue etc is down to contractual bidding not the garments performance.

If you want something durable, and fit for purpose look at Stoney Creek or Swazi, Edinburgh Rifles can sort you out with Stkney Creek or Swazi have 20% off everything at the moment.

We have them issued at work and they are not great in persistent rain, nor are they very breathable. If I had to buy a waterproof jacket these would not be my first nor second choice. Too noisy for stalking I would say.

I keep toying with the idea of a Ventile jacket, but they are expensive and I don't want to make a mistake. Maybe I should just stick with my DPM gabardine smock...

It'll let water through in heavy down pours and they're good water proof jackets?
Yes no jacket that you can move in is truly waterproof six hours in the rain in Brecon any jacket will soak through, if it is rubber and doesn't you will not be able to move in it. The keela is a good compromise, you can pick up some reasonably priced DPM keelas on ebay.

Reactions: Kai
Back