Landrover defender owners input...

SimpleSimon

Right then...

My Navara popped a hose last week, and whilst I've been waiting for the part to arrive and get it fixed my father in law has very kindly leant me his old Landrover 90. It's not the first landy I've driven, although it is the first SWB I've driven for more than a couple of miles...

Anyway... I kind of like it...
I would never have considered one before in favour of a Jap pickup, when I was covering longer distances for work and needing to transport a fair bit of kit around. Also my truck was, until recently the "better" vehicle out of mine and the wife's, which is now not the case as she's leasing.

So, if I DID want to get one, for a similar budget to what I would spend on a replacement pickup (10k?) what is the model to go for, what do I avoid, and why?

I KNOW they're quirky and noisy and will never be as comfortable or refined or quick or smooth or reliable(?) as my Navara. But they're undeniably fun!

I drove a mates defender once. Slow , very slow off the mark, imprecise steering, but good ground clearance.
I prefer something with a bit of oomph for whizzing around in and good 4x4 off road capability…4.0 Litre Jeep Wrangler

I drove a mates defender once. Slow , very slow off the mark, imprecise steering, but good ground clearance.
I prefer something with a bit of oomph for whizzing around in and good 4x4 off road capability…4.0 Litre Jeep Wrangler
They are slow, undoubtedly. But doing 45 in the landy is far more entertaining than doing 60 in the Navara. I assume the slightly more recent ones have better engines?

They are slow, undoubtedly. But doing 45 in the landy is far more entertaining than doing 60 in the Navara. I assume the slightly more recent ones have better engines?
Until recently I ran two 110s.

The old girl (54 Plate) has done over 130,000 miles and never missed a beat. She has been up and down to Sutherland, twice a year, for the past fifteen years or so.

Every time she goes in for her annual - its a grand. Every fing time. She has had logs, dogs and deer in and on her. She has never complained. I love her.

The new girl (62 Plate) we sold this year. It had about 24,000 miles on the clock and was just never used. It had the 2.2 engine and was a dreadful drive.
It was meant to be a "Sunday best" car. She was treated like a Princess and I did not love her. Truth be told. She did not love me.

Sounds like you’ve already convinced yourself you need/want one.

If it is for local travel as distinct from bashing up & down motorways go for it but make sure you buy one that’s been looked after and of course double-check the status of all known rust points.

I don’t like the Puma engine but of course that version comes with the desisrable 6 speed box, whereas the TD5 does not.

A V8 90 would of course be very nice!

K

Definitely an enthusiast car. If you have a workshop, reasonable skills with the tools and a set of rose-coloured glasses, dive in to the world of Land Rover 90s. I’m on my tenth but but, much as I love them, the 110s are far more useful for work (and cheaper).
If you can, get one with a galvanised chassis - everything else easy to work on.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 90.

A Discovery 1 will do everything that a 110 will do including load capacity but it will be far more civilised and comfortable to live with.

I can't speak to the TD5, I've never owned or driven one but I've have had 110, RR classic, D1, D2 & D3, all driven in very harsh conditions.

For what you're doing a D1 300tdi will be very comfortable to live with.
If you want to do regular, longer distances look at D3s. Again I can't speak to the D4

Like others have said you either love them or hate them. Personally I don’t think they can be beaten off-road, even just on all terrains. Not so good if you’re doing many road miles though. Used to have a 90 but just found it didn’t have much room for stuff in it so now got a 110. I think a Defender is only worth owning if you can fix it yourself, obviously because of the age of them they need some work now and again. For me the ideal defender would be a 110 300tdi with galvanised chassis. It’s a bombproof engine with old fashioned injector pump, on a galvanised chassis it’s something if you fixed yourself would last a lifetime. Check the bulkhead if you’re buying one though.

Love mine, 200tdi popped in and she is pretty nifty. Was going to sell her due to breaking my ankle and no work etc but can't part with her.

Just love my 2003 Td5 130, perfect for our roads and is the most reliable car in our household of Volvo V50, Mini, VW Tiggy, Impreza.
Myurqef.jpg

edi

I have a Discovery 2 with a TD5 engine. It is just about to hit 200,000 miles and still drives nicely. It goes anywhere I want to be off-road on its all-terrain tyres, and I use it as my shooting vehicle,...and my daily run around, school run etc. It is a bit tatty, as in it has some peeling lacquer on the bonnet but it is my favourite vehicle and I have no plans to part with it.DSC_0311.JPG

Disco 1: yes, but seriously rot-prone and getting rare in good order. Disco 2; too many electronics and air springs. V8 ones with the auto box are much nicer than the diesels if you can live with 15-18 mpg. Better for daily use, tho’
Probably the deciding factor for me would be the resale value and huge enthusiast community for the defenders.

Like others have said you either love them or hate them. Personally I don’t think they can be beaten off-road, even just on all terrains. Not so good if you’re doing many road miles though. Used to have a 90 but just found it didn’t have much room for stuff in it so now got a 110. I think a Defender is only worth owning if you can fix it yourself, obviously because of the age of them they need some work now and again. For me the ideal defender would be a 110 300tdi with galvanised chassis. It’s a bombproof engine with old fashioned injector pump, on a galvanised chassis it’s something if you fixed yourself would last a lifetime. Check the bulkhead if you’re buying one though.
And crossmembers if it’s not on a galv chasiss rear one always goes

Don’t bother! I don’t say this to imply they are rubbish, on the contrary they are a great machine and we’ve had 2! It is the fact you will constantly worry if it is still where you parked it, that someone will steal it with your dog in or threaten you for it! Just don’t bother with the potential anguish. We sold or first one as Mrs was expecting and a 90 was no longer practical. We owned it for almost 10 years and went everywhere in it. This was also the point that they started getting pinched around us on a daily basis. The next was a td5 that I restored as we loved the first one so much. Finished it and then sold it as the stress was too much!

Back