Leupold's New Scope

Thar

Hi all, I picked this up about the new VX-7 leupold scope, it is going head to head with the top German makes.

The VX-7. Built on a 30mm tube, it uses a new lens system--Xtended Twilight Lens--and features a new SpeeDial adjustment system, fast-focus eyepiece and Generation II argon/krypton waterproofing system. The scope will be available in 1.5-6x24, 2.5-10x45, 3.5-14x50, 3.5-14x56 Long Range and 4.5-18x56 Long Range, the latter featuring the concave crescent objective bell found on the VX-L.

Will you be buying one?

Thar

Not quite! The yanks use Japanese produced glass in their scopes.

looks good but I think there are some far superior optics in the European market for that kind of money.
We all know that though!!

I bought one recently. Had it shipped over by a friend $611 plus $60 postage. This changed out to about £350. Over here they come out at about £700. All I can say is dont knock it till you try it. For me they Leupold are the best all round working scopes you can buy.

Stuff the continental scopes, too much money and over rated.

Hmm, I still prefer a Leuopold scope. No mention on the site of the cost, possibly because you need to sign a contract with Satan for your life before you can afford one.

Personally I think that Leuopold are the best all round working scope, and I have been using them for many years. My two PH friends in Africa swear by Leuopold as the best all round working scopes, and the only trouble they have ever encountered with scopes was with Swarovski. thats not to say that they are bad scopes, they are very very good scopes. Its just that I cannot warrant the money for a Swarovski. After all you get lifetime guarantee with Leuopold, which I assume you get with Swarovski. And the new optics on Leuopold are as good as any other scope.

Sorry I am a Leuopold man and cannot be converted, Burris are also pretty good as well. I am sure there will be many in the forum that will disagree with me.

Leuplod Scopes

I am Leupold through and through. I use an M4 for hunting and target and tried them out for the first time eight years ago with a Leupold PR scope which impressed me so much i have never used anything else. Built to a military spec they will easily withstand a knock that would alter the zero of a lesser scope.

I know a guy who moronically reversed his L200 truck over his rifle with an M4 attached and it maintained its zero to the millimeter.

Nope Leupold for me!!

just a note about Swarovski optics ,they have a 30 year warranty which in my experiance is not" worth a sook ".Everytime you send them away for repair with a fault that is covered under warranty they always find something else to charge you, this has happened to me twice in the last two years.Great optics,i have 3 scopes and a pair of binos, but the warranty..... well

I like Swarovski's alot but after buying a FXIII Leupold recently I'm sold. A nice old chap off this site let me have a S/H Vari II for a good price and thats very good too. I intend to get a tactical scope next for long range, range work. That will be a Meopta, as it works out slightly cheaper than the Leupold Tactical.

Beware of Meopta. Had a guy up about 4 years ago brand new rifle and brand new Meopta scope, scope was useless, it would not hold true. Took it back in the end and exchanged it for a Leupold.

Buy a Leupold from the states its $2.3c to the £1 you cant loose.

I though the US Military used Trigicon scopes. Had an American over last year trying to promote them as THE scope used by the US military. Not a scope I would recommend, he had it mounted on a 300win mag single shot thompson rifle. Dont buy one!!!

Schmidt and Bender are good scopes, but Leupold for me matey. And just about every yank I have guided in the last 25 years has had one on his or her rifle, except for one chap last year.

Leupolds have real reputation for toughness and holding zero on rifles that are bounced around on shoulders, backpacks in vehicles etc. For a hunting rifle confidence of toughness and ability to hold zero is paramount.

I have used Leupold scopes on other peoples rifles and I have always found them quite critical on eye placement. Admittedly I have never had one on a rifle set up for me. Optically they tend, to my eyes at least, have a matt type image as opposed to a gloss of say Schmidt & Bender. And I prefer German No4 reticle to the Duplex reticle.

In the US market their pricing and aftermarket service makes really good sense. European optics are expensive over there by comparison (although US produced Z3, Z5 and some Zeiss are competitive). UK market they are quite a bit more expensive.

Leupolds have real reputation for toughness and holding zero on rifles that are bounced around on shoulders, backpacks in vehicles etc. For a hunting rifle confidence of toughness and ability to hold zero is paramount.

I have used Leupold scopes on other peoples rifles and I have always found them quite critical on eye placement. Admittedly I have never had one on a rifle set up for me. Optically they tend, to my eyes at least, have a matt type image as opposed to a gloss of say Schmidt & Bender. And I prefer German No4 reticle to the Duplex reticle.

In the US market their pricing and aftermarket service makes really good sense. European optics are expensive over there by comparison (although US produced Z3, Z5 and some Zeiss are competitive). UK market they are quite a bit more expensive.

Failure to track properly seems to be a reoccurring issue if you read the US-based boards. However it may be an 'internet issue' that isn't seen in reality.

isnt this thread from over 10 years ago ?

Yes, but Leupold have just released the VX3HD- vx3hd - MidwayUSA and Mark3HD- mark 3hd - MidwayUSA along with the fugly Delta Point Micro. The latter will probably never make it to the UK.

Back