light moderator for .270

Mungo

I will fairly shortly be looking for a moderator to put on a .270.

I've only ever used them on rimfires and .222 before, so really know nothing about the heavier duty end of the spectrum.

What would people recommend? I'd prefer as light and slim as posdible: it will not receive very heavy use, and certainly not range level multi shot strings. Not looking for super quiet: happy to trade weight for silence. Hoping to find something that doesn't look to put of place on a classically styled rifle.

Muzzle can preferred to over-barrel.

I had an Atec CMM4 on my .222, and really liked it. Would that be enough for a .270?

All suggestions very gratefully received.

deerwarden

ASE Ultra SL5i

I have the previous version (SL5) on my .270 - short and light but the latest "i" version as shaved a further hunk of the weight.
SL5 on my Sauer 202, used it in Scotland and Africa with no issues at all, if now even lighter would buy another one if ever needed. deerwarden

bewsher500

Slim over barrel every time

what is the purpose?
noise or recoil?

no free lunch in the trade off.

if it is screw cut 1/2" or 14/1 you are welcome to test an effective noise and recoil reducer but not light!
looking at an ate cover barrel for my next rifle

big ears

There is an issue with cmn4 that if you strip it down the warranty is invalid. The DPT is almost exactly the same, slightly cheaper and also stripable without warranty invalidation. Great mods that work. Use one in my 6.5 swede and just got another for my 30-06.

BE

Kalahari

I have a Hausken on a 7 x 64 so not a million miles from a 270. Quite light and seems not too noisy. Alan Rhone does the Schultz and Larsen ones which are sort of designed to go on a classic rifle.

David.

Mungo

Slim over barrel every time

what is the purpose?
noise or recoil?

no free lunch in the trade off.

if it is screw cut 1/2" or 14/1 you are welcome to test an effective noise and recoil reducer but not light!
looking at an ate cover barrel for my next rifle
Purpose is to take enough of the edge off the noise that I don't always have to remember to put my plugs in (or can use it when I can expect not to have the time to do so).

NoIDeer

Been using a CMM4 on a short barrelled (20") 270 for 3+ years now. Very light, great to use. Rifles not a tack driver but plenty accurate enough for stalking.

The big problem with the CMM4 and large cartridges is gas cutting, my rifle is slowly eating the mod. If you are happy to treat the mod as a consumable I would recommend it.

I don't bother dismantling it nowadays?

Woodsmoke

I use an ASE Utra NS on my .270. It's superb at reducing muzzle flip, and does a fair job on the noise too. However, 'light' it is not! I think it's about 680g or thereabouts? Having said that, it doesn't seem to upset the balance of the rifle too much (Abolt Hunter) It's threaded 1/2 UNC, so if that fits your rifle you're more than welcome to try it out :thumb:

Mungo

I use an ASE Utra NS on my .270. It's superb at reducing muzzle flip, and does a fair job on the noise too. However, 'light' it is not! I think it's about 680g or thereabouts? Having said that, it doesn't seem to upset the balance of the rifle too much (Abolt Hunter) It's threaded 1/2 UNC, so if that fits your rifle you're more than welcome to try it out :thumb:
I had a Northstart on my .222 - it was a beast! Definitely not what I'm after - I changed it for a CMM4 because it was so cumbersome. But very quiet indeed. A super moderator if you're either not moving around much or are built like a marine!