Mincing machine/meat grinder question.

Dave L

Hi, like everybody else I imagine, I want to maximise the utilisation of the deer meat once shot. I would therefore like to get a mincing machine to make the most of the non prime cuts to produce burgers etc. I can't justify the expense of a top end electric mincer as I only shoot five/six times a year. My question is, does anybody use the hand operated machines? I know they may be old fashioned and take a bit longer but there is very little to break (unlike the cheep £30 ebay electric mincers from China) and I am not processing large quantities.

Any feedback on experience with these or recommendations would be appreciated. If they are a waste of time it's best to know and I will put the money towards a better machine.

Many thanks in advance.

Chasey

Hi, like everybody else I imagine, I want to maximise the utilisation of the deer meat once shot. I would therefore like to get a mincing machine to make the most of the non prime cuts to produce burgers etc. I can't justify the expense of a top end electric mincer as I only shoot five/six times a year. My question is, does anybody use the hand operated machines? I know they may be old fashioned and take a bit longer but there is very little to break (unlike the cheep £30 ebay electric mincers from China) and I am not processing large quantities.

Any feedback on experience with these or recommendations would be appreciated. If they are a waste of time it's best to know and I will put the money towards a better machine.

Many thanks in advance.
Yes

ONCE never again

Then I went and baught one of these and was a LOT happier

Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder Commercial Heavy Duty Mincer Grinder | eBay

Alantoo

We have inherited a couple of lovely old aluminium hand mincers, but the best one was an old Kenwood Chef complete with mincer attachment, which is what we use most.

Alan

Coddy

As all these domestic mincers are on the small side.
I found that when using Pork Fat, it is better to chop the pork fat into small cubes before mincing. If the cubes are too big, they choke up the plate easily. Mince the pork first, then the venison, then hand mix together then mice one more time.

Pedro

We have inherited a couple of lovely old aluminium hand mincers, but the best one was an old Kenwood Chef complete with mincer attachment, which is what we use most.

Alan
I bought a Kenwood Chef and mincer attachment. It works very well for an occasional user. I'd recommend one. You can use it the rest of the time to keep everyone in cakes too. :D

SDC7x57

A tip from my food technologist brother in law......all the big mincers (...stay calm MS!) chill the meat right down to the range of +2C to -5C, then run it through the machine. This stops the 'smearing' effect and gives a pretty good end result. We've been doing this for all our ingredients, including pork and beef fat. Although it doesn't completely stop fat from smearing it certainly reduces the amount that gets messed up!

+1 for the Kenwood chef attachment - fine for occasional use.

The Singing Stalker

I use cheap electric from eBay. It is fine. Well it was till I lost the spring for the blade. Anybody got a spare?
chill the meat and dice it. Then mince. Works fine. I would process about a dozen Deer a year, roe and muntie so I'm not a high user.

Dave L

Thanks to all those that replied with advice and recommendations. I will try a Porkert #8 hand mincer initially as it was cheep, is well built and spares are readily available. If that eventually proves too much like hard work then the Kenwood chef route sounds like a more versatile option than a dedicated electric mincer. Of course the commercial machine would be the best option, but I can't justify it at the moment.

Monkey Spanker, I'm worried that you knew about Grindr.com but I'm not one to judge :eek:. Made me laugh though :rofl:.

sauer

Honestly if your not doing many
Keep an eye out in Lidl ...they do electric mincer now and again for around £40 and it's great value, plus their warranty is good .

You wouldn't go wrong for that

Paul

Biathlonjimmy

I'm rather baffled. Looking for a link to the machine I use that I bought off a friend for £20 + 1 x Roe Carcass I found how much they are new... £1,600 + VAT. :oops:Admittedly it is missing the original on/off switch and the worm is worn a bit but it works very well. I knew the bugger was heavy. specs say 44kg.

Bloody good machine though.

If you can get one 2nd hand they are well worth it.

Here it is: Talsa W22 K Meat Mincer- Butchers Equipment Warehouse

ChrisJB

I have a Kenwood KMix you had get mincing and sausage making attachment set for works well for deer and also use for Canada goose breast